Forty

Lilly Jennings

Tara tell us about this place when her and Heath went on their run she somehow ended up there

Tara tell us about this place when her and Heath went on their run she somehow ended up there. That's when she lost Heath too. We pack up the RV to head there. We have to cross a lake to her there. Me, Carl, Enid and Tara stand on the other side while most of the group goes across.

"Do you ever think about who you've killed?" I hear Enid ask me and Carl.

"Yeah." Carl answers.

"Sometimes. I try not to. Doesn't always work out." I answer.

Once we get across we follow Tara to get to this place. I hear Tara talking about how they have a lot of guns. Also how she wasn't supposed to tell anyone about this place. She promised not too.

Some people get into trees to lookout. I see Rick helping Michonne into one. I laugh a little. I nudge Carl and he just shakes his head.

We use the explosives we got from the highway and set them up around the perimeter of this place.

"Do you think this will work?" I ask Carl.

"I don't know. I hope it will." Carl answers me. I lean against him. His hand goes to my back and slowly moves it up and down. 

We are waiting till Tara gets in. Once Tara got in we started a timer for the explosives. The time was up and Tara didn't give s a single to stop so they went off. They weren't close enough to do major damage. We didn't want that. Just to frighten them.

We stop a group of people.

"Everybody done!" A women from the Hilltop yells.

"Hands on your head." Tobin commands them. "Everybody stay calm."

"We don't want anyone to get hurt." Carl says

"Stay down and listen to what we say." I says.

"We want this to go as simply and peacefully as possible." Gabriel says. "All of you can make it that way."

I see Daryl, Jesus and Rick bringing to more women to the group we have.

"Now, we made a lot of noise." Rick says. No shit. "We want to wrap this up quick so you can send people to redirect anything coming this way. Tara said your forest are relatively clear," Rick says when he got up to the people. "So we won't take any chances. No one needs to get hurt. This is just about what you have, what we need."

"Nobody's taking anything." A women's voice yells. We all turn were the voice is coming from. There's an older lady holding a gun to the back of Tara's head then a younger girl around mine and Carl's age walking behind them."You need to let everyone go and leave right now. Just walk away or this one dies."

"Yeah, we'll leave you alone. But we're taking your weapons with us." Rick tells the lady who I am assuming is the leader. "That's not gonna change. It's Natania, right? Put the gun down, and let's talk about what we can change."

"No. Leave right now."

"Michonne, don't!" Tara yells to Michonne who probably was about to shot at Natania.

"We just wanna be left alone." Natania says.

"Yeah, we'll leave you alone. Just let go of her now. Or we'll kill you. None of us want that."

"They want us to fight the saviors." The younger girl speaks up. Everyone in that group just looks around at each other. I now remember something that Tara said about their encounter with the Saviors.

"We tired that. We lost. Too much." Natania says. "We're not gonna lose anymore, not our guns, not our safety, not after everything we've done to get here."

"We're gonna win," Tara speaks up. "With your guns, with or without your help."

"Natania, put the gun down." Rick says.

"You kill me, and you die. My people take the guns and nothing changes."

We look around at the group that are on the ground. That's when one of them speaks up. "Maybe we should try." She says.

"It's not over." Natania yells. "You all forgotten. Some of you actually want to fight them? After everything? We can lose our guns, but leaving this place to fight? After everything? I have to remind you! Yes. I am gonna do this, and them I'm gonna die. But it's that important. This is your life, all of you. Remember what it looks like. Remember what they did to us! You need to see this. Open your eyes!"

"Rick! Walkers!" Michonne yells.

The younger girl punches Natania knocking her down. I see Enid standing behind her holding her gun up.

"Everybody up! Get the children behind us!" Rick orders. "They're coming."

We all move and get our guns and knives out.

"First shift, join them on the line." A lady says. "Knives out. Dead only. Dead only!"

"Everyone, shots within 10 feet of the line. That's it." Rick orders "Now!"

We all start shooting. The people from Oceanside have their knives ready to kill any that get to close. Once all the Walkers are dead. Rick shakes one of the women's hands who helped us. Then we all look at Natania.

"No." She says. "We're not fighting them with you. So take your damn guns and go." She then walks away.

We start to collect the guns and put them in the cars. I'm helping Carl and Enid carry and box of them to a car when Carl speaks up. "It's not just the ones I killed. I think about the people I didn't kill, too." He's talking about how Enid almost killed Natania. How she's probably gonna think about what would have happened if she did kill her or why didn't she just end it.

We get into the cars and drive back to Alexandria. It's night by that time. Me and Carl go straight up to our room and fall asleep.