Chapter 40: What's Left

(NOT EDITED)

-Charlie-

I began to walk back to Aidan's hospital room and as I was walking, I looked around me. People were screaming and shouting, most were crying, but there were also people full of joy and happiness.

I tried shutting every thing out, trying to stay focused on myself, but I couldn't. I couldn't shut every thing out because I'm in the real world and it doesn't evolve around me.

I looked to my right and saw a young girl, maybe three or four, her face was a bright red and full of spots of her skin color, it looks like she's been crying. A doctor came through going to her and her mother, I could hear the words that came right out of his mouth clearly. "I'm so sorry for your loss." They both started crying again and hugged each other.

Those are the words I fear the most, it might be just me but I've always feared such words. How do doctors keep a straight face while saying that in front of families? Of course you can see the emotion in their eyes, but still. I couldn't do it. I would ball my eyes out.

"Charlie?" Somebody took me out of my thoughts.

"Twan?" I was confused, wasn't he just, never mind.

"Are you okay? You don't look so great, here, come sit down." I followed him onto a chair and he sat next to me with his hand in mine.

"Is Aidan awake?" I asked quietly as my hands started to shake.

"No, he should wake soon though, it's a matter of time." I just nodded, not knowing what words to put into a sentence. "How's Ashton's mother?" My mind thought for a minute to see what he was talking about but it hit me all at once. Ashton's mother had died right there in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it.

"She died. But gave me these." I held up the gifts she gave me and then put them back down.

"I'm so sorry." Another word form that scares me. It's so similar to 'I'm so sorry for your loss' and that's what fears me. It's only a matter of time before it adds those three words.

I just stared at the wall in front of me. I couldn't really speak. I wanted to let him know I was okay but I would be lying.

Deep breaths. That's all it takes. Deep breaths and you'll be able to control every thing around yourself. Well I wish it was damn true, I've taken so many deep breaths and I felt like my oxygen supply was running out.

How am I suppose to stay calm? I'm in shock right now so that doesn't count. I just want my son to wake up right now so I can talk to him. I need someone else to talk to, I'm sick of doctors talking and Twan, to be honest.

"Charlie Grace?" Great, doctors, just what I need.

"Yes?"

"We have information about Ashton Burns." After they spoke of him my whole heart fluttered and sparks rose up like fireworks.

"How's he doing?"

"He's out of surgery." My whole world just lit up.

"That's fantastic! Can I see him?" The doctors both looked at each other with sad faces and that's when my hope died down a bit.

"Ashton Burns is in a coma right now. We're not 100% sure when he will wake up or if he ever wakes up. It can be today, tomorrow, next week, next  month, or next year, we just don't have enough information to tell that far." My heart shattered and smashed to the ground. My breathing shorten from my crying and I was no longer that happy firework who's whole world lit up from the sky, instead I was fire, ready to tear down anyone in my path including myself. "You may still see him if you like."

"Not right now. I want to stay with my son a bit longer."

"Alright, you can go see him anytime you wish, here's his room number." The doctor left a piece of paper on the table and they both left with misery on their faces.

-Twan-

I never expected this to happen. I don't even know how to handle the situation. I've never been in a car crash and I've never lost people I care about in front of me before.

All this. It's all new to me. I don't know what I can do or say to help Charlie and her family. I really do love her but I'm not sure that she loves as much anymore.

"Go see him." I mumbled to Charlie's ear.

"What?" She turned around and her beautiful eyes connected with mine.

"Go see him." I said once again only this time a little more loud.

"What if Aidan Wakes up?" She panicked.

"Then I'll have a nurse get you. Listen Charlie, I'm been noticing some changes in you recently and I wasn't positive they were true but after today, I realize that they are true."

Her eyes twitched to confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about." I took a deep breath. "Charlie, I know you're still in love with Ashton. Maybe you grew out of that love after you left him and fell in love with me but if slowly came creeping back and as of today? Your love for him came fully back." My eyes left her and switched to the ground.

"Twan...I-I still love you."

"Charlie please. I'm not mad. I'm actually quite happy for you if you believe me. Your family can reunite and you can live in even more happiness."

"Please Twan. I love you."

"I love you too but I can't love something who's in love with someone else but just remember this. I will always love you." I grabbed her hands and lightly squeezed them.

"You're not leaving are you?" She got up quickly and her eyes were shot red.

"It's not a goodbye forever, it's just a see you later." I kissed her cheek one last time and left the room.

"No Twan, please don't go. Please." I could hear her screaming down the hall, I really wanted to turn around but I needed to continue walking out of the building.

It's not a goodbye, it's simply just a see you later.

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Sorry it took awhile. I tried to update on my phone since I don't get my laptop back until school starts. Yes, my school provides macbook airs for us high schoolers.

I'm getting a new phone this week so I was gonna just update it then but I tried doing it today and my current phone didn't freeze. Gladly I continued and updated.

-Autumn