41. My Duty

Victoria sat at her dressing table as Miss Florence began to do her hair. Creating a beautiful half up half down. Miss Eveline placed a new bunch of flowers from the garden in the case on the window ledge. Miss Rachel took out a few dresses from Victoria's wardrobe and held them up to her to pick which one she wanted to wear. Choosing a light blue dress with a lace collar because light blue seemed to be Johnathan's favourite colour at the moment. Miss Rachel dress Victoria and fluffed out the dress.

" You look beautiful your majesty." Miss Rachel said

" Thank you but do I look ready to change the way this game works?" Victoria asked and Miss Rachel thought about it

" Yes you do your majesty." Miss Rachel said and Victoria smiled

"Wish me luck." Victoria says and heads to the door which Miss Florence opens for her and they both curtsey as she leaves.

Heading down the corridor to the office where Gulliver and a few representatives from the court were. As the servants opened the door the the office she took a deep breath and walked in. Each member at the table stood up as she walked in and sat as she sat down at the head of the table. Pouring herself a cup of tea knowing it was going to be a long meeting that would end in one of two ways. Victoria storming out or Victoria getting her way. The servants brought in plates of scones and butter for the table and distributed them around to everyone. Victoria placed down her cup and cleared her throat as Gulliver spoke up.

"Your majesty we are here to discuss your desire to help the poor." Gulliver says rising from his chair.

" I know. Now tell me how you can help them." Victoria says going to cut her scone but the servant stopped her doing it for her and also buttering it for her.

" Here is the thing we can't do anything." Gulliver says and Victoria looks up at him

" Yes you can. You told me you can dear Gulliver do I have to remind you about the change of the rule you made." Victoria challenged and he looked to the other court members for assistance.

" You will break the game." One of the court members piped up.

" Giving them a decent standard of living won't. I grew up in the outskirts of the game with one so I want them to." Victoria says and Gulliver sighs.

"it will give the people too much power." Gulliver counters

" They deserve to live a life without worrying how to spend their money." Victoria argues back and Gulliver has a hushed talk with the other court members.

" We can increase their weekly pay to three gold pieces." Gulliver says

" Make it four and clean the streets and homes of the people." Victoria bargained and Gulliver looked towards the rest of the court members.

"Fine!" Gulliver backed down and Victoria smiled

"You are dismissed." Victoria states and stands up from the table.

The servants picked up the plates and took them away as the court people stood up from the table. Bowing as she left the room. Her first ever change to the rules was being made. Which made her smile. She couldn't wait to see the change in standards of living for the people. She couldn't wait to see the people healthy and enjoying living rather than worrying the next day could be their last. They shouldn't deserve to be treated this way because they are not worthy of joining the game properly. Funny how it takes a woman working against the odds to change the way the game works for the better.