3. House Demure

Victoria reluctantly made her way to house Demure. The outside simply decorated with a few small potted plants in a neat line by the front doors. But this wasn't the way Victoria would be entering she would be going in through the back door where all the maids and house staff spend their days. Running around after the royal family and their heir to the throne. Otherwise known as the Queen of King of their family.
Opening the door to the lower ground Victoria was met with people running around like headless chickens. Dresses , food and candles flying around all over the place. Which was the complete opposite of what was going on upstairs. Lord and Ladies sat chatting about how they were going to aid their King to win the crown in a few weeks when it would be up for grabs.

This would happen because every three years the crown becomes up for grabs. The current Queen or King must protect themselves from the others. If they are killed the crown goes to their partners family and they become heirs to the throne for another three years. If the King or queen is kidnapped then a payment must be made for them to be released , if it can't be made the family who kidnapped them gets the crown. Finally , if someone in their immediate royal family is killed they must abdicate and allow someone else in their family or their partners family ( if they have one) and that is how the cycle goes.

Victoria picked up a dress from a pile on a bench and grimaced at how soaking wet it was from the wash. People were pushing each other literally out of the way to get things done. Placing the dress on a hanger someone pulled it off of it seconds later.

" the King's mistress likes her dresses dry cleaned only. You should know that." They shouted and Victoria frowned in confusion.

" umm. I am new here. I am Victoria Teller. I just got placed as a dress person here. By professor Gulliver." Victoria says and the person rolls their eyes.

" a new addition. When will Gulliver learn. No one makes it into the royal family in this house. His royal highness is what is known as a many women Royal. He won't marry. Won't form an alliance. Just wants mistresses and is certain he won't have his crown taken in a few weeks." The person mutters placing the dress in the hands of someone else.

" but surely someone has tried." Victoria shouts over the noise pushing her way through the sea of maids and servants.

" no one is successful Miss Teller. It will either get passed to his brother or he will have the crown taken from him another way. No women has had the crown at house demure for centuries. It's about time some one changed that. Your new blood and your pretty to the king's lords in waitings standards maybe you could work your way up" they whispered to Victoria as they both pretended to look busy with the mistresses dresses.

" there is no way I am going to accomplish that Earning my right to fight for the crown. In three weeks how about I accomplish the plan over the next three years. Ready for the next time the crown is up for grabs."Victoria suggests.

" that's if it is not taken from him sooner Miss Teller. This crown business is cut throat he won't last much longer. But you do as you wish." They said disappearing into the distance busing themselves with something else.

Victoria has no idea what she is getting herself into in this house. But she was determined to prove everyone including Professor Gulliver wrong. She will be queen of demure house and then queen of the country.