Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision

Start from the beginning

They all agreed to come, and headed off. Persimmon thought, Well, it's nice they accepted your offer. But you weren't really expecting them, were you? You just wanted Gumboot to come. At least there was no reluctance in his voice. Ah, what are you thinking? Just let them come with you.

The proceedings were quite formal, and acknowledged the things Charleston had achieved in his life, and the things that he had left unfulfilled. Hearing it all, Persimmon became very emotional, and through his sorrow, a thought popped up. He lives through your memory. His dreams are no longer his, and his memory is yours. If you choose, you could take him with you. Take him with you on the adventure he never had.

He continued to think about this. Me? Go on an adventure? What possible opportunities do I have to even start?

He was taken out of this thought by Cameron sneezing. He gave an apology and said that he probably hasn't been looking after his health that well these past few days.

The Detective Pirates? He thought. Would they even have me? Do I want to go with them?

The service ended, and everyone was beginning to return to their homes. Persimmon found the detective and his crew, and resolved to ask them.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," said James.

"Your name is James, is that correct?" asked Persimmon.

"Yes, my name is James Baron."

"Would you consider yourself an adventurer?"

"Detective and pirate, but I guess my goal is somewhat consistent with that of an adventurer..."

"I've been thinking about going on an adventure, to honour my friend's memory..."

"Thinking about it? Are you telling me that you came to me with questions, but also with uncertainty?"

"Would you..."

"If you want to come aboard, you can do so at any time, but note that we will leave at eleven a.m. tomorrow."

"I understand. I'll take tonight to think it over."

At the police station, a new and dedicated batch of recruits were being briefed on the situation.

"Trusted officers Cerulean and Crimson were found to be corrupt and untrustworthy. Their whereabouts are currently unknown. The motorcycle is in the hands of the Motorcycle Gang once again, and the parasite is missing. We have three gang leaders currently at the hospital, ripe for arrest. After consultation with judicial and government forces, we have been granted full permission to apprehend these criminals with as much force as is necessary."

Later that evening, the police arrested Salvador, Hedges, and Barracuda. Salvador and Barracuda were found guilty without trial and sentenced to life in Snyke's Penitentiary. Hedges was put on trial, and ended up being put under house arrest.

"Damn, and I didn't even get to learn my new powers," said Salvador, as he was being taken away.

"The transport helicopter will arrive in two days. Before then, we will be taking DNA tests to verify your humanity," said one of the military officers transporting the criminals.

Sir, is that you? A familiar voice rang in Salvador's head. It was Sunday, the Martyrs' artificial intelligence.

Sunday? How can I hear you in my mind? he thought.

I sense that you have bonded with the Cyber parasite. I think that has allowed your mind to connect with technology. I heard your mind because of this. Sir, I find this to be... strange.