Chapter 3: The Journey Begins

Start from the beginning

James and Crock continued to talk for a bit, reflecting on the recent developments and what a life of piracy would be like.

"Oh, it's nice to talk to someone who gets it. I mean, me, Crock Turnbull, becoming a pirate, it sounds absurd!"

"Wait, Crock Turnbull?"

"Oh, yeah, I suppose. Does the name ring a bell to you?"

"Did you lead the Turnbull Militia on a raid against the Gloomy Island Rebellion?"

"I don't want to talk about that, it was a particularly tough time in my life. I don't even have the energy to regret it."

"Um, before it all went to shit, I caught Edwin Longchest, the infamous traitor. They say he tried to kill you."

"Ha. I thought detectives were supposed be smart. No matter, you're not the one to blame if you believe the lies."

This piqued James' interest, but he decided not to push the discussion any further. It was clear that things were more complicated than they seemed, and that Crock was not a fan of talking about that particular chapter of his past.

Meanwhile, Cameron and Milangelo were standing idly at the stern of the ship, talking to each other.

"So, why did you not hire security for the ship?"

"Camen, my friend, guards always enforce rules. So not fun!"

"You're always calling me Camen, yet I can't call you Milang!"

"We've been over this, before Cameron."

"I know, she's dead, you cope by tossing out reminders, and I cope by shutting people out. But if you're so haunted, why did you agree to become a pirate? Heads roll all the time on the open seas. What if we lose ours?"

"We won't. We'll become strong. Strong enough that nobody will be able to kill us. Trust me."

The two of them looked out at the land they had left, off in the distance. They had only just started to understand the gravity of their decision.

Patricia and Karnilla sat in the onboard pub, playing a game of truth or dare.

"Okay, Pat, truth or dare?" asked Karnilla.

"Truth."

"You never pick dare, you suck."

"You never pick dare, either, hypocrite."

They started sticking their tongues out at each other, going back and forth, until they both burst out laughing.

"Okay, whatever. Cameron. Do you like him?" asked Karnilla.

"He's nice, but I hardly know the guy. It's too early to tell."

"Alright. Now you ask me the thing."

"Well then, Kans, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Okay, I dare you to... throw this dart–"

"Boring..."

"Not finished. While doing a backward flip."

Karnilla laughed a strain, forced laugh, and said "Cakewalk."

She attempted it with a smile and when finished, asked her friend where it had hit.

"Right in the bullseye! That was quite something."

"I know. And you're mediocre."

"Hey, categorically incorrect!"

They continued to go back and forth, as Patricia revealed that she wasn't all that enthusiastic about becoming a pirate, but she was hopeful that their lives would become more interesting as a consequence. Karnilla admitted to bringing on board the rifle they had stolen from a patroller in Kuzla, saying she had kept it with her to remind herself that a life of luxury can also be a life of burden. Patricia wanted to hear Karnilla tell the story again, as she was always so good at it, but she was only interested in keeping the game going. There wasn't much that they could really ask each other, though, as they had known each other for so long. With this in mind, and neither wanting to engage in dares, they abandoned that game and started talking about whatever came to their minds.