Chapter 36 | The Lamest Excuse

^ ^ ^

"God Sweetcakes, where the hell have you been?!" I hear a frustrated voice say and footsteps quickening in my direction.

Looking up I see piercing blue eyes.

Chase.

=========

Annalise's P.O.V.

Chase.

And he did not look happy.

It was pretty obvious that he was upset, you just had to look at how many times he tried to contact me and hear the tone of his voice.

Right then the bell rang and we had to head into class.

"We will talk about this later." He said firmly as he grabbed my wrist and tugged me into our classroom. I didn't appreciate how he was handling me. But I had no chance to object for the class was ready to start when we walked in and it did the moment we sat down.

Zach was a row and seat down from us so the second he got the chance he turned around and mouthed to me,'Are you okay?' I nodded and mouthed the word 'yes' back to him.

Chase was stiff next me while I concentrated on the class because unlike I needed to be here learning these formulas and equations so I can attempt to duplicate them and pass the class.

I could feel him staring at me through his peripheral vision, but I somehow was able to ignored him.

Finally it was time to go. Chase stood up immediately. I knew he was wanting to get out of there fast. But I wasn't in the same mood as him so I took my little ol' time with packing up. My actions added a slightly raised eyebrow to his already stone-glaring expression.

We had barely walked down the hall, Zach trailing behind, when Chase stopped and started our conversation again.

"Where have you been?"

"In the gymnasium, it's my last period you know. Where have you been?" I respond sarcastically. Zach cracked a smile and choked on his chuckle when Chase sent a glare in his direction.

He then shifted his eyes on me,"Don't give me that shit Sweetcakes, you were gone without a trace, so explain. Now."

I was taken a back for a moment by his reply. My lack of immediate response only fueled his anger.

"And why the hell weren't you answering your phone? We probably called you a hundred times and no answer what so ever." His eyes were blazing yet they seemed so cold and piercing at the same time. His cheeks were a little flushed and his hair looked as though his hand had been through it repeatedly.

I was slow in my answer, taking in his sudden change of appearance,"I didn't know, I had left it on silent from the class before so I didn't realize, I'm sorry-"

"Clay, Zach, Jared, Leon, even Natalie, have been looking for you all over the school for forty minutes!"

"I didn't mean for-"

"You didn't mean for what? Is that all you can say? You didn't mean and didn't realize? Well we realized when you just left as if it was some magic trick not even thinking to tell us."