Chapter 12 | Ruby

Annalise's P.O.V.

"I'm flying there in the morning." Those were six words were comforting, frightening, and horrifying all at the same time.

Comforting because I missed Kate so much and I knew she really cared. Frightening because she'd meet Chase no doubt and lord knows what would happen, and horrifying because I didn't want her to worry about Izzi and our house, if you can call it one.

Kate's family was rich and like my second family, but I didn't want their money out of pity. I know they mean well, but I couldn't depend on them forever, and I needed to be independent. For me. For Izzi.

"Wait, what? No." She couldn't come. I loved her but she couldn't come. At least not right now.

"There's no way I'm staying here when a cute, bad boy player is driving you to school until your car is fixed. I'm supposed to MEET and APROVE of the guy before you can get a boyfriend."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. 1) he's not my boyfriend, 2) I never said he was cute, 3) you're not coming, you have school, and 4) you're over exaggerating."

"Well from what you're telling me that's what it sounds like, you like him and he likes you. And come on, any guy like that is cute. Besides he's doing nicely for himself." Okay she's right with cute, but what?

"What did you mean by saying 'he does nice for himself' ?"

"You mean you don't know what Black Industries is?"

"No... Should I?"

"Yes! They're only one of the biggest leather jacket manufacturers in the country."

"They are?" Course she'd know with being so rich and being so up to date.

"They're a name brand and you haven't heard of them? You know, BLACK."

"Nope. Doesn't ring a bell."

"They're the warmest, softest, most stylish leather jackets, and in so many different styles and colors. I have a few myself."

"Then why is he a principle?"

"He liked the business from the company but it was never quite his cum laude, however being the oldest he inherited the company once he turned 30. So he moved from Michigan to West Virginia to help run the company until his younger brother was old enough to take over. You see, he owns the company but his brother and wife run it. His brother handles the business and his wife helps design the jackets, that way he could teach which was his passion. He ended up as the principle of Jefferson High years later. The rest is history."

"Wow. That's... quite the colorful background"

"Handsome, smart, sweet, rich... It's perfect. Text me the moment he asks." Kate sighed dreamily on the other end.

"He's not asking anything! Geez Kate how many soap operas are you watching? I do NOT like him like that. And he's exactly what you said: a bad boy player. I may not have seen the side yet, but between what Kristi and Parker said with your translation, he's one. And players don't go for girls like me, so you're dreaming. Besides it's completely unrealistic especially since I've barely known him for two days."

"Haven't you ever heard of 'love at first sight'? And I haven't been watching that many."

"Uh-huh. Suuuurrrre. And really? Love at first sight? It's more of "love how you look" not "I'd die for you" kind of love. This isn't a sappy romance novel."