Chapter 31 | Ninja Cat Skills and Mulch Hair

^ ^ ^

Annalise's P.O.V.

2:59pm.

That's the time the clock. My watch told a different story of 3:01pm and 15 seconds, but I could wait another minute by their time, even though they were off.

Chase had been there the whole time, eating occasionally and texting on his phone, even winking at a few girls. But he kept a close eye on me nevertheless.

It seemed ridiculous to me. The clock's minute hand reached the twelve, it's chime sounding three times signaling the hour.

I went to the breakroom and grabbed my stuff. Surprise, surprise. Hailey's sitting down all chill scrolling through beauty tips on Insta.

I roll my eyes and am about to walk out when I hear,"He doesn't want you."

I turn and raise an eyebrow,"Who?"

"Your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Yeah, you're right, he just wants you to think that." I rolled my eyes.

"Well at least he acknowledges me." I said and turned on my heel.

I lost count on my hands how many times she tried to get his attention, but all he'd say was "no thank you" and "I have a waitress already". Funny how he didn't welcome her presence since Hailey fits perfectly into his player requirements.

Chase stood up once I walked out. We left and I leaned my head back against the car's headrest, closing my eyes.

It had been a busy day, and I was kinda tired even though I had only worked my usual hours.

There was so much to do. So much to be done.Decisions to be made, bills to be paid.

I took a deep breath in and slowly exhaled. I had been stuck with so much all at once, and whether it was against my will or not, I had to fill the responsibility.

I had learned a lot from my parents for sure, but I wasn't ready for it- for them to- to not be there all the sudden.

I hear the gear shift move into its slot and I feel the car come to a halt, parking.

But when I opened my eyes, it wasn't my small garage and house I saw. Instead, before me were trees, a water fountain, and pigeons, all on grass covered ground with benches spread across its surface.

"What-" but my question was met with the slam of the car door. My own was being open a few moments later, with Chase holding out his hand. I rolled my eyes grabbing hold of it.

He locked the car with his keyfob. "Do I even want to know why there's a park before me instead of my front door?"

He looked up at me with a raised eyebrow, head cocked to the side."Probably. But I think you'd rather find out for yourself than me just telling you."

"I doubt it, but lead on to my explanation of whatever this is."

"As you wish milady." He said tipping the invisible cap on his head and offering his forearm to me. Cue an eye roll. I'm not Queen Elizabeth for Pete's sake.