Week 15 Television and Entertainment

Week 15  Television and Entertainment

Day 1

What's on the box tonight?

I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me (Psalm 101:3).

I remember whilst growing up as a little girl I was allowed to watch half an hour to hour of television daily. I just couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to watch the other children's programs everyone else did and most importantly I felt extremely left out when everyone was watching soap opera's and would have such interesting discussions that they would get into at school, whilst I, not having a clue what they were talking about would pretend to be preoccupied with other things to do.

I remember the first time I watched a soap, despite the fact I had held the day in much anticipation I felt so deeply disturbed watching the show in which someone was murdered and  people were trying to cover their own tracks or blackmail others into holding their secrets that I had begun to understand the rules my parents had set in place. If I had grown up watching the show I would not have been phased by what I saw, but because it was something new to me I found it extremely disturbing that such low morals could be so happily observed. 

It got me thinking about what the bible spoke about viewing any vile thing if there is something glorifying self or bad practices then because I want to praise God only I shouldn't find these things attractive at all. I decided from then on that I would try to set out the things that are uplifting to watch, not degrading or diverting my attention from God.

So the question that always should arise is what's on the box tonight?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2

Warped reality

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things Colossians 3:1-2.

Reality TV, the countless shows that portray the lives or the rich and famous, the poor and the broken, the priveledge and the hard done by. A whole day spent following the lives of others. Magazines giving the latest gossip, a step by step break down of who's eating what and seeing who and what time so and so went out last weekend till. 

If ever there was a time to find out about what is going on around the world in someone else's life now is the time. The media portrays the lives of many rich and famous people as generally happy and if not then a therapy session or two or a check in to rehab can supposedly fix many a problem. If you just have the money you will be ok, you can buy your worldly possessions and even your friends, but the most important thing : eternal life is much more than money can buy. Only one way to get that but yet look at the lists of how to make it in this life and very rarely will you see accepting Jesus and his sacrifice top of the list. 

So reality tv, magazines, blogs and videos which reality is it? The truth is in reality we have a purpose in this life and individual need to decide to take up a destiny that will lead to eternal life but you have to choose that destination, it's open to all will you take hold of the harsh reality that your life is being judged and real decisions need to be made. Living in the hope that you will one day become a happy celebrity is not enough for God all he wants is your heart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3

Great night Out?

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galations 5:21