The Holy Trinity - God the Father

Week 3 - The Holy Trinity

Day 1- God the father

Luke 15:11-32

The story is told of a Minister who had two sons one decided that he wanted to pursue all the things this world could offer. He went out, got his own apartment decked with decadent ornaments. He was a sharp mind, a people pleaser but also loved to let his hair down, throwing the wildest parties and having nights or revelling and drunkenness. He thought he had it all. While those around him would take out some time to relax, study and work hard, he was just solely concentrated on having fun and 'enjoying' life to the fullest.

The other brother however wasn't so outgoing, he went to uni got a degree in engineering. He went to church regularly supporting his father in the ministry. Always willing to lend a helping hand, never too far away from home. His life, though simple was fulfilling. One could even smile at his savings account,  ready for any type of rainy day that would come his way. He was the 'favoured' child the one who was loved in the neighbourhood. Stuck around when his father really needed him.

But one day his brother came home, needed a place to stay his life of partying and revelling had not helped him to be the model employee he needed to be, and so given the talks of recession he was the first to be laid off, and had no way to support his self-indulgent lifestyle with no option, but to return home. 

Obviously Mr 'Oh so sensible' was less than impressed that his father allowed his lost son to return home, and even announces to the church his boy has returned. All the neighbourhood were excited about the return of the 'distant' son. Despite everything he had done his father had welcomed him home with open arms.

Just as the father did in this story, God is there waiting for you to let return to him and let him into your heart. It doesn't matter where you are coming from, only that you come. Isn't it wonderful? What a fantastic father we have, he is so forgiving and so open hearted. In fact if you're looking for someone who is open minded the father is the one to go to. The fact that ANYONE can enter his family is really saying something especially as we as humans have the tendency to be judgmental. 

Get to know the Father he cares for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2

God of Love

'There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love' 1 John 4:18

The story is told of a couple who had a single son. He was the love of the their lives, being their only child he was extremely precious to them. 

One evening the son was driving home and his car was hit by a drunk driver and unfortunately he died in the accident. Soon after the drunk driver was caught. It appeared that the driver was a young teenager, who came from a troubled background, known to social services. He was taken to court where he was sentenced to a period of time in Jail. When asked about how they felt towards the young teenage driver who had killed their son, the parents responded that they felt sad that their son had been killed but that through the case they had met another young man who needed the love of a mother and father and they felt they had gained a son. They continued to visit the young in jail and treated him like a member of their own family. 

The book of 1 John 4 talks about that unconditional love God has given to us we should share with others no matter the circumstance. If God could send his Son to die for our sins then how much more should we be ready to love everyone no matter what they do to us. The couple in the story really knew what perfect love was all about.