Chapter 29

Bow lay on her back, staring up into the trees, trying not to think. It was hard for her not to think, after all that'd happened. She was alone now, except maybe for Dark but now Bow was questioning everyone. Alone was better. But now what? There was nowhere for her to go, the town wasn't safe for her and where else could she go? Bow was startled out of her thoughts by Dark jumping out of a portal next to her. "What in the world is going on?" She snapped. Bow growled. "You can read minds, you already know." Dark's gaze softened after a minute. "Oh, I knew this would happen eventually. Only so much can happen before you stop trusting people... But you ca-" Bow cut her off. "I don't want to talk about this right now. If my family and Vaba can't be trusted who can?" She choked back a sob, turned invisible, and started running away. "Bow! Come back! I have to tell you something!" Dark called after her. But Bow kept running. 

  Bow looked down, it was a long way to the bottom... She didn't know what she was doing yet, but she did know that being in such a dangerous place calmed her down. She inched closer to the edge of the roof, still looking down. Then someone grabbed her from behind and yanked her back. "Don't you ever...." It was Vaba. Bow growled. "Why would you care... You were helping them..." Vaba turned her around to face him, he looked very sad and anxious. "I didn't. I swear, I didn't. Dark went around and found out they had shape-shifters there, they told you where to go not me." Bow felt tears running down her face. She wanted to believe him, but she couldn't. "How do I know you aren't a shape-shifter now, or lying?" "If I was, I would've pushed you while you were at the edge..." He whispered. "I'm not ready to trust anyone yet, I'm sorry..." Bow backed up. "Kitten... I... I'm sorry... I-" "If you are real why are you sorry?" Bow was at the edge again. One wrong word... Vaba seemed to sense that, and he spoke carefully. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you enough... Make you happy enough... Make you feel ok..." Bow burst into tears. "You'll be better off without having to be involved in this." She whispered and stepped off the edge.