Chapter 30

"Malia?" A very familiar and deep voice asks.

I close my eyes tightly, hoping that it would go away. If I don't see what's happening then it isn't happening, simple. Or so I thought.

"Reality doesn't vanish if you close your eyes." Shane whispers from beside me.

I kick him under the table and push his chair away from me, atleast I tried. Shane was so heavy that I ended pushing myself away. Either way, I was far from his snarky comments. I don't need this sort of negativity.

"You know Lia?" Cole asks the person who walked up.

"Yeah, we're pretty tight. We have all the classes together." Ashton informs my family and bends down and whispers in my ear, "It's like it was meant to be. You should also open your eyes. They're pretty and I don't want to miss a second of looking at them."

I sigh and open my eyes.

"Nice dress." He comments smirking. He didn't need to remind me how my outfit didn't fit in with the ambience. Everyone laughs. Shane gets up and does the bro shake with Ashton, asking him to join us.

I swear, it's like everyone is born to go against what I want. First my brothers now Shane. Do I get a break?

"No, I really must get going. My family is here. I just headed over here to say hi." Ashton excuses himself politely. "It was nice meeting you all."

"You haven't even met us properly. I'm sure we could fit three people in here. We could move around and make space."

I was mentally banging my head against the table repeatedly.

"No, it's alright. I should get back. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

I smile up at him.

"Wait." Jesse screams, the people at the tables around us turn and look. He shrugs it off and looks at Ashton, who stopped. "Mum?" He asks indicating her to talk.

"Hmmm?" She asks looking up from her Confit de Canard. Looked like she was enjoying it. I slowly signal to Dad, who nods his head and cuts almost half the dish into his smaller plate and takes a bite of it. His face speaks it all, it looked like he was really enjoying it, his eyes were closed in pleasure and he lifts his fork and knife to take another bite but he stops himself once he sees my face and passes it on to me under the table so that Mum doesn't notice.

"Yeah, you should drop by sometime and get to know everyone, any friend of Malia's is welcome at the Romero residence." She smiles.

That smile is the smile she's giving when I'm six feet under. Cause that is a better alternative than have both the boys in my house.

"Sure thing." He says and walks away. I stretch to get a look at his family, the family that gave birth to genetic perfection, but to no avail.

"You'll fall off." Shane says. I turn to look at him, only to find him next to me, again. Since Ashton was gone it didn't matter anymore.

Dinner went by pleasantly, playing games, talking about random stuff and the old people reminiscing. To conclude, it was a blast!

We were walking down the parking lot when Shane catches a glimpse of himself in a car window. "What in the wide world?" He asks trying to get a better look.

"What?" I ask innocently.

"My hair, it's green and I'd like to say black but I'm not sure." Shane says.

"It isn't. I'm sure it's just the car. Common they are already at the car." I urgently persuade him, trying to get him to move. Instead of moving like I wanted him to he turned the car mirror to himself.