Chapter 18

"Okay, enough of the sulking phase. We're not living in a damn movie. Ice cream and chick flicks, what is with that? I don't even know why I'm here! You aren't telling me why you're mad, yet I have to put up with this." I say, gesturing to the scene in front of me. Kiara was wrapped up on her blanket, with a tub of chocolate ice cream and playing on television was A Walk To Remember. I get how ice cream can brighten your mood anytime but why the sad movie and blanket? I never did get it. If I'm sad I generally go do something to get my mind off things and the added adrenalin rush makes everything better. Why wallow in sorrow?

"This is what normal girls do. Not everyone goes and does stuff like you." She retorts, shoving another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.

"I'm out of here. I don't hate the movie, in fact I really like it. But there's only so much depression a girl can handle." I get up from the ground and start to walk upstairs.

"You're supposed to comfort me you idiot."

"Hon, I flush the stereotypes down the drain. Also, no comforting without knowing what I should be comforting you about." I say continuing to climb up the stairs.

"Okay, so Naina. She's really pretty and all that."

"You're jealous?" I stand up in shock and look at her incredulously. Once it seeps in, I start laughing. So much that I'm rolling on the floor, clutching my stomach with tears in my eyes. I can't believe she was jealous. "You cannot be serious." I huff out in between laughs.

She looks at me with no humor on her face. "Tell me when you're done and I'll finish what I was saying." She deadpans.

A few minutes later, I wipe the tears from my eyes and sit up straight, trying to keep a straight face and look at her expectantly.

"So yeah, Naina." She says and looks at the carpet and pulling at its weave. Her mom's definitely gonna freak out if she sees one loose string. I give her a nudge to urge her to continue explaining herself. She gets up and lets out an exasperated sigh, pacing back and forth. "You just came up and declared you had a best friend. It took ages for me to get that title, a year and a half to be exact. Do you think I wouldn't get insecure if you do something like that? I already feel like an outsider when Shane, you and I are hanging out. You and Shane are so tight I feel sorta left out but I never complained cause you guys have known each other since forever. Then you come and introduce Naina as your new bff, I couldn't help but feel bad. I got thinking that there must be something wrong with me." She runs her hand through her hair and looks at me expectantly. I stare at her, just stare at her.

"Are you not gonna tell anything after my long rant?" She asks as she quirks her hips and places her hand on it.

I search her face for a giveaway, she couldn't be serious. No, her face was dead serious. "Well..." I honestly didn't know what to say. I know I'm closer to Shane and nothing could change that. I don't let people past my walls, I don't let myself get hurt. And Kiara may be my best friend but she isn't past all my walls. I have a moat, a high wall, another higher wall and then a huge tower where my heart is locked up. High security I know, but I have my reasons. I take a deep breath. "I was kidding about Naina, she isn't my best friend, she's just sweet and I said that cause I wanted to see Shane's reaction that's all." I'm not gonna touch the part about Shane, her and me, it's better like that. I get up and hug her for quite sometime and draw back, "Ice cream?"

She smiles and nods her head. Then squeezes me into bone crushing hug. She may not be past all walls but she's the only one who's gotten anywhere near close. Shane was around when I put up my walls so, I built my walls with Shane in it. I value Kiara a lot cause, people normally give up after a point, but she's very persistant. I love her for it.