Chapter 14

"So it doesn't bother you that he likes someone else?" Shane asks with a bewildered expression on his face.

"No, it isn't that big a deal. Honestly I didn't like him like that. It's something like what happened to us in 7th grade."

"Oh yeah that was bad."

"Exactly." Me and Shane was constantly paired and gushed about by friends, family and random strangers. Eventually, we started dwelling too much on it and thought we had feelings for each other. But later realized that we never did, it was just that people were getting into our heads.

"But are you sure it's just that? There are no feelings being harboured for him?"

"Harboured? When did you start using such big words? What are you British?"

"Look who's talking about being British, you're the one who taught me the word in the first place. You're the one who uses massive words."

I smile at him sheepishly. He is right, to a certain extent. "Whatever. Anyway, why don't you find someone for yourself? Instead of nagging me about my love life."

"Why would I look for someone, when I have you." He laughs. I hit him on his shoulder and he lets out a cry of pain, rubbing over the spot I hit him. "But on a more serious note, I haven't found the person."

"Who?"

"You know, the right person."

"What right person?"

"You know, someone who makes you feel like the world around doesn't matter and your heart beats so fast that you think it could possibly jump out. When she walks by my eyes see only her and when she smiles, everything seems way brighter. When that happens I won't hesitate to tell her 'I love her'."

"That's insane depth. But love? You're gonna scare her away."

"She isn't you and I don't act on infatuation, it'll be so strong that I'll be sure."

"You're something else. A good something else."

"You too, I honestly don't know what I'd do without you."

"Me neither goofball."

"Way to ruin a perfectly good moment, Mel. Someday you'll have to face mushy moments you know. Not everyone would understand if you get weirded out by deep emotions."

I punch him on the shoulders, laughing. I may get awkward at times but with him it's almost never. Take note of almost. He puts his arm around my waist and pulls me close to him. I place my head on his shoulder and sigh. "This is nice, we should do this more often. The view, the breeze, the deep talks and our worries behind us."

"We can forget our worries for a while, but we can't run away from them forever. Stand up and face them, get it over with otherwise, you'll be living in anxiety for the rest of your life."

"I'm more if the, one day at a time kind of girl. You know let go and let live."

"Just cause you had to let one thing go, doesn't mean you do that for the rest of your life. You might be happy all the time, but beyond your wall of gaiety and joy I know that there's a broken girl, who's looking away from that broken mess and completely focusing on the good things."

I take my head off his shoulder and looks out into the horizon. We were sitting on a cliff, overlooking the forest and the sun setting. It was so beautiful, I wanted to remember this moment forever and ignore the damper my best friend put on this almost perfect moment. He nudges me with his elbow, I look at him and find him looking at me with sympathetic eyes.