Chapter 31. Birthday Celebrations and Awkward Situations

I blew smoke out from my lips and took a deep breath in, then out, then in again.

I put out my cigarette on the wood of my bed, letting out the breath I had held.

I looked over at the little intercom at the side of my room door and saw a little red blinking button signaling that someone was entering the house.

Probably my parents.

I sighed and got up shoving my feet into a pair of black heeled ankle boots before making my way downstairs.

I'm home now and not at Colton's house, I was in my house, alone. My parents weren't back yet but I came in anyway since I just couldn't find the nerve to face neither Jax nor Colton.

It's only been half an hour since I've gotten back, it's around five now and my parents called a few minutes earlier saying they were pulling into the driveway.

That was the plan of course, spend half of my actual birthday in California and the other half in Florida.

Funny how I don't feel like celebrating.

I checked my hair in one of the huge mirrors that hung in the hallway at the entrance of our living room. It was straightened to perfection, split down the middle, reaching mid back. It used to be down to my waist but I had it cut in California because it was just too long.

I paused at the entrance of the living room and found my parents engrossed in conversation, my dad was smiling down at my mother who was laughing with her hand on his arm.

A soft smile crept its way to the corner of my lips.

This isn't something I see often but it was a nice sight. Picture perfect, I wish I had a camera to capture the moment.

"Hey guys, how was the business trip?" I asked, walking into the room and taking a seat on the leather couch.

They both turned to look at me simultaneously and my dad smiled warmly towards me, wrapping an arm around my mother's waist.

"Happy Birthday." He smiled and my mom followed suit, "Happy Birthday Alexandra."

I glanced between their smiling faces and my father's arm that rested around my mother, feeling my heart sink a little.

A few years ago my mom had cheated on my dad, he knew that, yet, they remained together, and happy. I never figured out why my dad forgave my mom, I just knew he had. I remember thinking it was because he loved her too much to let her go or because she was somehow blackmailing him. I still don't understand how or why he's still with her and happy. How is that possible?

Despite the small part of me that disapproves of their relationship, a larger part of me is relieved that they stayed together. They've gotten better over the years. They seem more happy despite their stressful jobs. It was nice to see.

A wave of emotions suddenly hit me and I began feeling out of place.

Standing in front of me were two people, together and happy.

I want that. I need that. Desperately.

I rose from where I sat and walked over to them, pulling them in for a hug. One arm around my mother's neck and the other around my father's.