Thin ice

Chapter 23

I woke up the next morning cold and grumpy. I turned over to find the source to me being cold. Madison had pulled all the blankets off of me during the night. She did that the night before too. I sighed and sat up in bed to find Knoxville gone. To be honest I was a little happy about that.

I was scrolling down on my twitter timeline when Madison stirred next to me. I glanced down at her to see her yawn and stretch. She opened her eyes and smiled at me. I smiled back and she lifted her head and placed it in my lap.

"Morning sweety" I smiled as I played with her hair.

"Morning Caleigh. Where did Daddy go?" she asked looking up at me. I shrugged.

"He was gone when I woke up" I said putting my phone down. We sat like this for a short while with me playing with Madison's hair.

"Cay? Can I ask you something?" she asked with a frown.

"Sure sweety, you can always ask me anything." I smiled and put her hair behind her ear.

"Are you and Daddy fighting?" she asked with the frown still present. My hands stopped working through her hair. I took in a deep breath and glanced down at her.

"Why do you ask that Madison?" I asked her continuing to play with her hair again.

"You guys are acting different. I can see it you know. I may be young but I'm not stupid. You guys are acting in front of me aren't you? You guys aren't as close and joking as much as I remember and you always sleep next to Daddy, even if I'm there." she said in a soft voice looking down at the ground. I sighed and made her look at me.

"We're not fighting Maddie, its just really complicating right now that's all. We both want different things and I'm really confused. But we're not fighting I promise." I said with a small smile. She nodded then looked at me again.

"Do you love my Daddy Caleigh?" she asked frowning again. For a damn 11year old she was freaking smart.

"I do love him, he's a very good friend to me" I answered her question smiling.

"I know you love him like that Cay, but do you love my Daddy?" she asked again a little more serious this time. I looked down at her with worry and bit my lip hesitating to answer that. "You can tell me Caleigh. I just want to know."

"Yes" I said letting a breath out I was holding "I think I do love him Madison." she beamed up at me and sat up straight to give me a hug. I chuckled and hugged her back.

"Knock, knock" someone said knocking on the door.

"Its open" I yelled back as Madison got up off the bed. The door opened and Steve-o stepped in. "What's up O?"

"We're heading out for the day Cay. I came to see if you were up." Steve-o said with a kind smile.

"Where are we going?" Madison asked in a cheeky tone with her hand on her hip and her hip jutted out. Steve-o looked at her amused then did the same with a little more attitude. I covered my mouth and giggled at them.

"Well missy, we're going to an ice rink for the day and your dad is downstairs waiting for you with some new clothes" Steve-o said in a girly voice. Madison laughed at him and ran past him down to her dad I guess.

"An Ice rink?" I asked with a raised eyebrow still chuckling.

"Yeah. They want to see us bail and shit. Besides it will just be us seeing as they rented out the entire place for just us." Steve-o said sitting at the edge of the bed.

"Oh good now the whole world doesn't get to see how much I suck on ice" I said rolling my eyes "Just the worlds biggest jerks."

"Hey" Steve-o said laughing and looking at me over his shoulder "We're not jerks. Well we are but we're not that bad." he scoffed making me laugh. "But I must say I'm excited to see Knoxville bail. He sucks at skating."