(11) Secrets, Lies and Love

Chapter 11

When I pulled into the parking lot, I wasn't very surprised to see that it was full of cars and one school bus. Sundays were always our busiest day of the week. I pulled into my parking spot and quickly went into the building to help out with the crowd of customers. I put my purse under the counter, grabbed one of the hideous visors, washed my hands, and clocked in.

The day-shift supervisor, Kayla, asked me to back her up. She was taking orders at drive-thru so I began to make the ice cream that needed to be made. This rush went on for about twenty minutes. When the building finally calmed down, Kayla and the rest of the day-shift left. This left me with the rest of the night shift: Chasity, Kyle, Elizabeth, and our boss' granddaughter, LeAnna. She was also given the nickname L.A.

The rest of the night went by like any usual Sunday night. I still had the feeling that something bad was going to happen, but I tried to suppress it. I told my coworkers about my date and they were all happy for me. Kyle is one of my good friends, so he sits through these conversations with the girls. He is the only guy that works at Dairy Queen. At one point I pulled Chas aside and told her about what Drew told me.

"Well," she said, "I think you should talk to Chris. You never know what he might say about that. After all, he is from California."

"I really don't know Chas," I said, truly confused, "I am starting to really like him, and I think he likes me so I would think that he would tell me. Plus, I really don't like Jason Adams. And plus, why would Jason Adams even move to a small town in the middle of Minnesota?"

"I don't know. I still think you should talk to him about it."

"I will."

We continued working like any other night after our conversation. We close every night at ten o'clock. It usually takes a while to clean everything up so we start our clean-up at nine o'clock. At about nine-thirty, my gut feeling finally played out.

We were all hanging out in the back when the bell that indicated the door opening, the "doorbell", went off. Seeing as I didn't have anything to clean until we closed, I went up to take the order. When I got up to the front, I almost turned around and walked to the back.

Standing there was Amber. Up until two weeks ago, she was one of my best friends. Now she was standing here with all of the girls I once called friends. I knew right away that something was up. These girls were the type of girls who wouldn't be caught dead

eating fast food.

"Well, if it isn't the queen bee brought down to nothing as a working drone," she sneered at me.

"Really, Amber, that is the best insult that you could come up with?" I laughed humorlessly.

"Oh...no...dear. I am just getting warmed up."

By now, the "doorbell" had gone off a lot and there was a whole group of people in the building. I looked at the clock; it was already nine-forty five. It doesn't seem like a big deal to many to have customers come in and mess everything up right before closing. To us, however, when we have been on our feet for six hours, we just want to get home.

The group came up and started ordering. It was all ice cream so Chasity came up from the kitchen to help make the items. We

worked through the orders like we always did; one person took each order while the others made the ice cream products. When we

had finally finished with everyone, it was ten after ten. As I took all of the orders, I had informed the customers that we were closed so they wouldn't be able to eat inside the building. As everybody else cleared out, Amber stayed behind.

"You had better watch your back Andy," she warned me.

"Did you honestly think that you could come in here and try to scare me by bringing in a whole group of mine a mine brother's friends?" I asked her in disbelief.

"I am going to warn you again, Andria, you had better watch your back the next time you see me. I am not messing with you," she said menacingly.

"You don't scare me Amber," I said harshly back at her.

"We will just have to see about that." After she said this, she dropped her still full Blizzard on the floor. She said sweetly, "Clumsy me. Butterfingers, I guess." Then she walked out of the door, leaving us to glare after her.

"I swear that one of these days I am going to punch her so hard that her fake nose is going to disappear," I said while grabbing my keys to lock the doors.

"Who was she again?" Chas asked me.

"That, my darling best friend," I said to Chasity, "was Amber, the one I told you about."

"That was her?" she asked disbelievingly. "I wish you would have said something. I would have punched her right here for you."

"Thanks, Chas. That means a lot."

"What are best friends for, right?"

"I most definitely agree with that," I told her.

When I finally got home, after cleaning everything and making sure I supervised over everyone, it was eleven-fifteen. I prayed a silent prayer thankful that I got my homework done earlier during the day. I was too tired to shower so I brushed my teeth, threw on my black sweats and a tank top, and climbed into bed. Almost as soon as my head hit the pillows, I was asleep. My last thought of the night was to Amber, "Bring on your worst and I shall be ready."