forty // the pretty lies, the ugly truth

Harry

"It's been 3 days and we've gone to all of these places," Liam reminds both Zayn and I, pulling the pins out from the places we visited today. Needless to say, it was all a waste of time. "and not found Alicia in any of them."

"We all know that," Zayn says with a sigh, peering at the map over Liam's shoulder from where he's stood. "What's your point?"

"Well, there's only so many places here that a mafia could be involved with and be keeping her. We've almost searched through half of them."

"Actually, I've been the one that's searched through most of them," I remind him with a yawn, rubbing under my eyes as if this will get rid of the dark circles that have appeared over the past few days. It feels like I haven't had a full nights sleep in weeks.

"It's not our fault you get up in the middle of the night when we're asleep and run off to god knows where," Liam quips back, causing Zayn to nod along in agreement. "And then you come back here all bloody and bruised."

"Yeah, you need to stop doing that, mate," Zayn advises sincerely. "You could get killed without us there to help you. We have no idea which guys from which mafias are here. We all know they're ruthless."

"Well, then I'm going to be ruthless," I reply quite snappily "until we get Alicia back."

"What, kill everyone that gets in your way of finding her?"

"Isn't that what we've been doing so far?"

"What you've been doing," Liam corrects me. "You need to be careful, Harry. You and I both know that killing mafia members for no reason doesn't really end up well when the rest start coming for revenge."

"Liam's right. We're probably going to have to leave the area soon, it's too risky to hang around for too long," Zayn tells me and I immediately raise my head, shooting him a death glare.

"We're not leaving this fucking country," I say between gritted teeth, "unless we find Alicia, safe and well. Then, and only then, will we leave."

"She might not even be in the country anymore," Zayn says, changing his tone slightly due to his irritation, but I honestly couldn't care less. I have bigger things to worry about than Zayn's mood-swings. "I mean, if I'm being honest, she might not even be here anymore, period."

"We don't know that."

"Well, it would make sense," Zayn snaps back. "Think about it. If we were in their shoes, on the opposite side of this, wouldn't we just kill her already? I mean, I know she's valuable to some, but I seriously doubt they're going to keep her around once they realise she doesn't know anything. What's the point of keeping someone useless alive-"

I don't let him finish his sentence however, because I'm suddenly out of my seat and slamming Zayn up against the wall, gripping onto his collar with such force my knuckles begin to turn white. The anger coursing through my veins seems to have been there for days, and I've just been waiting, hoping for a way that I can finally let it all out and explode.

"Don't you fucking dare say that!" I yell into his face, but he doesn't even flinch. "I've been working my fucking ass off for days and you just want to give up and run off like it's so easy? Well, fuck that, and fuck you too!"