nineteen // surrender

A.N. wow I'm updating again I'm so good to you guys. this chapter is long awaited, enjoy

Alicia

I head back into the diner where Liam is sat at the table again, finding him scanning through the menu. He looks up as he sees me approaching, giving me a small smile. "Hey, where's Harry?" He asks as I take a seat on the opposite side of the booth, sliding closer to the window.

"He just went to the bathroom." I reply quickly and Liam nods, turning back to the menu.

I try to calm myself down a little before Harry gets back, which is a little hard to do because my mind seems to be replaying every single thing that he just said. I was convinced that he was finally going to kiss me just then, and I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved that it didn't happen, which is probably the most confusing thing.

"So," I say, placing my elbows down on the table and resting my chin on top of my hands. "are we eating here or something?"

"I think so. I mean, it's pretty much lunchtime so why not?" Liam shrugs. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, I could eat." I nod as Liam hands me the menu and I thank him before reading through it. "Wow, it all sounds so nice. It feels like I haven't had a real meal in forever."

"Harry's not the best cook, right?" Liam chuckles, taking a sip of his drink. I want to disagree, tell him about some of the good food that Harry has prepared for dinner a few nights, which I think he does just out of boredom. However, I decide not to comment on it.

"Hmm, I'm not that great either." I say instead and Liam nods in agreement. "I can make some mean beans on toast though."

"Same, but sometimes I burn that. Maybe Harry's better than the both of us after all." Liam suggests and I laugh lightly at him. "What's taking him so long anyway? I want to order."

I have to push away the thoughts that creep into my mind at Liam's questions, not really wanting to think about Harry  after the conversation we just had and what it could've led to. Shaking my head as if that will help to rid my thoughts, I concentrate back on reading the menu which I must find interesting as I've read it about ten times now.

My thoughts, whether I'm having them or not, are interrupted when Harry himself makes his way back into the diner and joins us at the table, taking a seat right beside me instead of in Liam's side of the booth. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice him glance over at me but I don't acknowledge him.

"Speak of the devil." Liam says once Harry has sat down. "Can you choose something to eat, mate? Alicia and I are starving."

"Oh really?" He asks, reaching out and grabbing the menu from my hands, reading it for himself. I glare over at him but he just smirks, lowering his voice a little. "Don't worry, you can go back to studying it in a minute."

I feel some heat rush into my cheeks, slightly embarrassed that he managed to figure out that I was only paying so much attention to the menu so I wouldn't have to think about him or look at him. I hate how he can just see through me like it's so easy, like he doesn't even have to try.

"I think I'm going to have a burger." Liam announces, setting down the menu. "What about you guys?"

"I fancy a bit of steak." Harry says, finally handing the menu back to me, our hands brushing as he does.