Chapter 42: Graduation

Kayla's POV

Christy didn't want anything to do with me.

Understandable. 

I cheated on her twice with the same guy.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

I love Christy with my whole being but that argument just triggered something that set me off. For some reason, I just went running straight to Jesse. I don't even like him like that.

The only thought that lingers in my mind is "why did I do that?" all day and all night.

I lay awake all night thinking about Christy's face when she saw Jesse and I together in bed and her face of betrayal-once again. It was the second time that I cheated on her.

It's whatever now. I guess.

We've each spent the rest of our high school careers away from each other. Well with her avoiding me as much as possible.

She was also planning to announce her commitment to a college during graduation. Something I doubt she wanted to do but the school probably made her wait to announce it then since she already prolonged the process then enough.

I, on the other hand, already committed. A little while after our fallout I decided to, since the attention was already on me, I didn't want to draw even more attention when the whole drama blew over.

UCLA commit on a full ride scholarship.

Not bad.

The graduation ceremony was like any other ceremony. The speeches, the presentation, a musical performances, then the calling of the graduates. It was long and boring, it dragged on for two hours just to get the regular stuff out of the way.

Since our school was known for creating athletes who go to play in college, we always had a ceremony during graduation with all the athletes. They would call up each athlete one by one, state the college they were attending, which sport they played, and however much money they received from the school along with a medal of recognition.

As the tradition goes, they let the less popular sport athletes be called first, golf, tennis, lacrosse, water polo and swimming were out of the way with a mere six athletes in total-one for each sport basically.

Then the football players, just a group of four guys who were all linebackers committed to colleges ranging from Ohio State, Auburn, Baylor, and Oregon State.

"Boys soccer with the lone prospect, Jesse Thompson. He is headed to Duke with a full scholarship." The announcer said and the crowd cheered wildly for him. 

"Girls soccer. We have two girls. Natalie Toy who will be attending UC Berkeley on a full scholarship. Then we have Kayla Owens who will be attending UCLA with a full scholarship as well."

I walked up onto the stage with the crowd cheering slightly softer than they did for everyone else. Natalie offered me a soft smile and then faced forward.

Poor Natalie. She played both soccer and basketball and was caught between us when Christy and I broke up. She was friends with both of us and an exceptional player for both sports. I think it was definitely a surprise for everyone when she announced she was going to play soccer in college rather than basketball. I know Christy would've loved playing against Natalie in college but now that wasn't a possibility. 

"And now, the moment we have all been waiting for." The announcer said with a booming voice. "Could I get a drum roll please?"

The crowd started stomping their feet and you could literally feel the whole building shake. There were tons of reporters and sports analysts attending the graduation since they wanted the news as soon as possible. I even heard that the school contacted the college Christy committed to so they could send a rep over for a photo op.