47. Sid POV

Yes this place is rustic but not different from my own village. Even though the people here look rigid and for the past week I have been bribing, rather off loading most of my money to some distant relatives of Ram Ji. This was the safest place I could find for Reet. Unfortunately things at home were worse with my mother dropping back home. Ram Ji has called twice in the past week.

Once when the police came and next when my mother filed a missing complaint blaming Reet. I wanted to talk sense into her but right now in my almost money-less avatar I was praying for a miracle. The house we were staying in was old with huge doors and my sixth sense told me we were not really welcome here for long. I wanted to keep Reet safe and never mentioned this to her.

I helped these people in their fields but it felt more like a prison. We did not have much money to make it over another week but going out from here would blow our cover, hence I stayed. Stayed till we finished all the money, gave our phones, Reet's ring. My lawyers never called here. Ram Ji was my only hope. He would call his relatives who would sometimes give me the phone. I had a feeling he wanted us stuck here for long.

Reet looked fragile. If her initial weight scared me right now that round belly and bones look scared me further. I often decided we needed to head home. I could go to jail for all that I care. My babies would be taken care off. But if they sent Reet to jail I would die a thousand deaths imaging my children behind the bars and hence we stayed.

In our room we talked about how this mess could end. But in reality I knew I was the one scared of Reet facing the problems.

Days turned to nights, we ate, prayed and worked for these villagers but now we were of no gain to them. They wanted more money and hence handed Reet a phone. "pay us or else we call the police." The threat was simple but they know of our situation. Reet took the phone mumbled a prayed and dialled. I wanted this to end but these people never allowed us to go out of the house together. It was like a house arrest but by acting sweet and never really mentioning anything.

I grabbed the phone from her hand and saw someone had picked, "hello!" I breathed a sigh. It was ishani and she picked. "ishani it's me Sid. Me and Reet are in trouble. Please help us. We are absconding from the cops and held here by some weird men in Faridabad." Ishani asked me more details and promised to come tomorrow morning and free us. I couldn't believe it would be that easy. I spoke in difficult and weird words to make sure these people did not understand me. All I wanted was Reet's safety and a chance to talk it out with my mother.

I couldn't sleep due to excitement and also a slight fear of what tomorrow would bring. But looking at Reet I knew one thing anything would be better than this. I needed to get back and I would kill Ram Ji too.