26. Shortcomings & hangovers

Sid's POV

She was never in love with me. That's the only explanation I gave myself. Seeing her hug Ranbir was a reality check, yes, I had dumped her but the issue was deeper. I did not want to share my Reet. She was mine. No matter who i married, Shruti or any other girl, I was only going to love her.

But Reet was more practical it seems. I was angry and wanted to go to Reet's but the sensible me stopped any such reactions.

The next day at office, I had a hangover and not going to Reet's in the morning meant it worsened. All thanks to the lack of caffeine. But who was I kidding, I had barely slept all night, I felt uncomfortable in my own house. I missed Reet too much. Her hugs, her hand on my chest as we slept, cuddles. To say I was super mad, was an under statement.

When I saw Reet walk in towards the coffee machine. She was as usual dressed in her blacks, a black lace top with a pair of denims and surprisingly red heels. I looked at her and waited for her hello, which never came. I saw she was busy talking on the phone, much like how we used to. Ishani was right behind, her chirpy behaviour. "Hello Sid, you went early yesterday?" "Ishani, I did. I hope you know why." Suddenly Reet went quiet, "let me call you back Ranbir." I snorted. Figures. "So he is the next one Reet?" I asked. My jealously got the better of me.

"E-excuse me Sid, what do you mean?" She whispered. "Like I don't know you were publicly hugging the air out of each other yesterday." I sounded menacing but it couldn't be helped. "Stop it Sid," she said with tears brimming her eyes. "Stop what? What Reet? Your habit for illicit affairs?"

I crossed the line and suddenly Reet looked at me with a hard, cold expression in her eyes. "Yes. You were a mistake, but because you came on my door to beg that I needed you. You knew you were cheating on your fiancé." I laughed dryly. "And then you ran back to Ranbir the same second? Wow Reet."

Reet made her coffee and replied in a voice cold enough to freeze the Himalayas all over again, "I will not give you the satisfaction of getting an explanation from me. Ask yourself if you believe that Sid. And if its a yes, all that we shared was a lie."

She moved out with Ishani still awkwardly standing there. I rushed to my desk to work. Niharika called me for a meeting and after sometime she called Reet too, "so you both will work together on this campaign."

I looked at Reet who nodded and replied, "please brief me about it Sid?" She sounded professional enough and I was amazed at her indifference. "Sure. Once I'm done with Niharika. I have to meet a client so we can sit together around 5?" I was already planning to make sure Reet was annoyed and never free.

She nodded and walked back. It was around 4 when I remembered my briefing meet with Reet. I messaged her to come to the meeting room in 10 minutes. When she did not reply for 15 minutes, I walked to her desk and saw her busy talking on the phone, "no ways Ranbir. I'm not coming." She laughed and I missed our times. Jealousy raged through me, as Reet replied, "no you cannot bribe me with a shake or your hot body," as she shook with laughter. Really? Hot body? How far had she gone with Ranbir? I cleared my throat feeling sick, "meeting in 5 minutes Reet." I said loudly enough and walked out. I called Shruti to pacify my thinking.

Where do you think they are going? Sometimes I like Ranbir too much for Reet. Also is Sid's cheating Shruti fair? Please tell me in the comments below.

Also please please like this chapter, maybe?