23. Crossroads

REET'S POV

Seeing Ishani cry over Neil was a reality check. I would never want my heart broken but something told me, this time it will be trampled on no matter how much I tried. I was trying to act realistic knowing that this was never going to be permanent and Sid would eventually get tired of this fake domesticity.

When I asked him, where we went next I knew the answer but I hoped. I don't know about what, but I hoped.

As Sid smiled and said, "we will see Reet," and my heart skipped a beat. Looking at Sid cooking, chopping tomatoes was cute. I clicked a photo of him. If the future was what it was supposed to be, I wanted memories and lots of them. I hugged Sid and we clicked a selfie before I went to change for dinner.

When I came out in my tattered denim shorts and soft grey tee, Sid was plating our food. There was a gift on the small table next to my lamps. I looked at Sid and smiled claiming my gift, I opened it hastily. It was a deep blue almost black saree with golden sequins lighting it up. "Thanks Sid its lovely."
"Wear this tomorrow for Neil, Ishani's engagement?" He murmured in my ear softly flaming deep desires as I slowly turned to face him. We kissed passionately, I knew we would eat a cold dinner but I could not care lesser. I moved to deepen our contact and I needed Sid. He was intoxicating, the more we kissed the deeper I feel for him. We were in the middle of slow lucid sex when Sid's phone rang, "leave it" I said in a shallow far away voice.

And he turned towards me groaning in need. The next morning Sid and I rushed to work late. Morning sex does that! When we rushed back, changed and headed to Neil's I had a niggling feeling. We entered Neil's place hand in hand. "This is how I picture us," Sid's comment melted me. The grandeur of the supposedly small ceremony shocked me.

We dropped hands as Sid rushed to meet Neil's parents. I looked around and saw Ishani surrounded by her relatives so I decided to wait at the bar. I ordered two Jack Daniels with coke as Sid approached me. I handed him the glass as he commented, "a sexy girl who knows my drink, where have you been all my life Ms Reet Rai." I giggled as we cheered and had our drinks.

Suddenly Neil yelled in front if us in a funny voice, "Sid look your mom decided to come here and surprise you. Shruti is with her too." My dream shattered. I got up and walked away as I saw the shocked look on Sid's face.

I felt Ishani push me gently towards the washroom. I was too stunned to say anything so I walked with her. I was hurt, confused, angry and surprisingly calm all at the same time. 

"you alright?" Ishani broke my trance and with tears in my eyes. I refused to be stood up by a non committed relation as I care-freely replied,  "Ish I always knew of Sid's commitments but I did not expect myself to face her." She hugged me and I was about to break down when the door knocked softly. "Ish it's me Neil. You both okay? Also Sid needs to talk with Reet. He says to meet at the balcony in my room. Also this is all partly my fault. I knew chachijee and Shruti were coming. I tried calling Sid last night but he never picked up my phone.”

I suppressed my tears, because I told him not to. Because we were busy fucking our lives.  I put in my brave face, " ish go open the door it's your engagement the guests must be wondering where you are."

As she opened the door Neil barged in and held my hand. "I'm sorry Reet. I really am. But go to Sid maybe you both need to decide for yourselves. He's waiting there." I zoned out. What could we decide on a relationship which had an expiry date? 

As soon as I stepped out into Neil's designer balcony, I saw a different Sid. This one looked like he regretted us. "Sid you called me here?" "Reet it's over. I think we should stop before time gets over us."

My tears threatened to fall. "Sure Sid." I smiled at him and before he could say anything, I walked into Neil's washroom. I switched on the tap, picked a wash cloth, stuffed it in my mouth and cried out loud. I cried till no tears came. I washed my face and went down. Ishani needed me.

I saw ishani look like a deer between headlights, I held her hand and she clutched mine. We were talking through telepathy. When her mother called her, I walked out and went straight outside and started walking.

Do not forget to like and comment. Do you think it's the end of Reet and Sid? Also this book is a spin off from Marrying my Mistake, read that too, maybe?