Chapter 2: My habit

Here of a short update. I'm all set to start updating this baby thrice a week! Hope you all like it.

Reaching the bright blue door at Reet's place always made me calmer. I was happier when I was with her. I could forget myself once Reet started her blabbering and I pressed the bell smiling and thinking of Reet.

When she opened the door, freshly showered and looking cute in her black ensemble I wanted to hold her in my arms. She was the most naturally pretty girl I had ever met. Without an iota of makeup she looked like a young school girl, innocent and to be protected.

I entered her house and said my mornings. And rushed to use her coffee machine. That was one reason why I came here. My coffee addiction was insane after I had this Nespresso. I couldn't keep one at home my mother hated coffee. Much like most things she labeled foreign, coffee was on the top of her list.

I opened the refrigerator and knew it will be threadbare except for milk, sauce, some fancy coffee condiments and a bottle of water. Reet was weird, she never ate home cooked food. Her dinner was a chicken roll from Al Kausar and I was sure that guy was on her speed dial.

"Reet coffee" I called her and picked both coffees and headed outside. She sipped it and looked up, "bliss. This is nice, though the cinnamon is not exactly morning flavour for me."

We both drank our coffees as I discussed that one of us needed to go to Kerala to get some elephant poo coffee. Apparently it was one of the best. "Chee! Imagine poo, you can have it all Sid. We can call it pooffee." "Reet let's go before your weird jokes start," I picked up the car keys. And started walking out as my phone rang, it was My mother and I was going to drive and talk in monosyllables all the way to work.

"Sid, travelling to your job?" This was her usual customary good morning question. In the past five years she could not accept I had moved out of our ancestral home and business to work in a corporate office. "Hanji maa, good morning," I was trying to maintain my cool. "Beta hire a driver, that city has too many cars." "Its okay maa I'm managing well" I knew the cribbing was about to start and my mental countdown began, "so you tell me. Do you know, we earned a profit of 70 lakhs this month and you work for a measly 1 lakh a month. Beta come back. I will get you that Jag-cuar car. Bhalla ji was saying all boys want it."

I tried not to laugh, "maa jaguar is not a great car, I love my Mercedes. You only got this last year." Mr Bhalla be damned. Now she was going to make sure I said yes for a Jaguar. That was my weakness I could never say No to my mother.

I looked at Reet who sat cross legged on the passenger seat busy listening to some chirpy number on her phone, shiny red earphones plugged in her ears, swaying to the beat. This too was a habit and somewhere I felt Reet was also becoming a habit.