Chapter 10. Deeper than I thought

Sid's POV

The drive to the Jaguar showroom was sketchy. My mother tried to make me talk to Shruti and all I could think of was Reet dating the star. Maybe they had a quick romp, I told myself.

My mother looked angry at my lack of effort. But I couldn't talk, Shruti did not converse like me at all, she was much like a younger version of maa. She loved her village life and did not want to change. My marriage was my hell even before I took my pheras.

But I was being superficial and mean to a girl who was set to change her life because of me. "Let's be friends Shruti, let's know each other better before we start calling ourselves engaged." "Sure jee, did that girl at your work say something?" My mom immediately butt in, "which girl Sid?" "A colleague mom," I replied hoping the questions would end.

REET'S POV

I was in a daze when I left work, sure I liked Sid, I was willing to forgive what happened last night for the sake of our friendship but he got engaged last night too. "Was I easy? Did he think he was right?" I went home by cab thinking about what happened today. Invariably I had no one to discuss boy stuff with, Ishani could speak out to Sid if she got angry, my parents were out of question, Neil was devoted to Ishani, Ranbir was clearly not in the friends category still.

SID'S POV
After the steel grey Jaguar was brought from the showroom to the temple, we went home post-dinner and dropping home Shruti. It was decided that I would go home to Punjab this weekend and take back one car. I decided I will leave the Jaguar. I did not need my mother's bribe.

It was just after 10 when we reached home, I was tried and needed sleep but Reet's reaction at work today was still swimming in front of my eyes. I reached the blue gate but for the first time I was apprehensive as I rang the bell. Reet opened the door, for the first time I saw her wearing a bright pink shorts with a light green tee unlike her blacks. She looked cute and my instincts to take care of her kicked in. "Reet open up, it's me." She opened some locks and let me in, "all okay Sid?" I entered her house and in night it looked different. It looked magical with candles, lamps bathing the house in a yellow glow. A plate with chicken rolls was kept on the table and music from her phone kept her company. Reet leaded a serene, boring life, the kinds a 60 year old should.

REET'S POV
"Reet, I came for coffee." His answer shocked me. My dinner had come twenty minutes back but I was still to start. "Sure help yourself Sid." I bit back retorts about his fiancée and the kiss. If he could pretend it did not happen, so could I.

As the coffee brewed my need to explain myself did too. My phone rang, "Ranbir? All okay?" "Shit hit the fan love, our photos of our date are with the press. A journo friend just called and told me. Get ready to see yourself on all tabloids."What? Tell me you are kidding. " I sat down. My head was reeling, my parents were going to find this difficult. I saw Sid's stony reaction and I kept the phone down. "Sid my photos of coffee with Ranbir have been leaked. He says the press would arrive at my place by tomorrow. I'm scared." I saw Sid rush to me and he was hugging me. His moral support meant so much. Suddenly the hug made me fell better in many ways.

SID'S POV
I offered Reet something I never would have, "Reet maa leaves for Punjab tomorrow morning at 6. Shift to mine for a few days. We both know how paparazzi is." She looked at me and politely asked, "your fiancee wouldn't mind?" Seriously Shruti was the last thing on my mind but I needed to reassure Reet.

"She will not mind, honestly. Please I will be gone this weekend, you can have the whole house to yourself." I did not understand why but Reet needed me. She sat down and offered me that weird roll she always had, "Reet can't you ever eat anything else?" I asked as I prepared coffee. "No Sid, this has become a habit. Much like you are!" I looked up and saw her smiling.

Reet you better call your parents before the papers print those photos and neighbours start asking. She nodded and called her mother, "maa I'm fine. I know its late but there is something I need you to know. I'm friends with a film star and the press thinks we are dating." I could hear only one part of the conversation, "no maa I'm not sleeping with him. He is just a friend." Some unknown relief washed over me.

I was glad, Reet deserved better. Just then Shruti called, I stepped into the balcony to talk and talked random stuff like how she liked today. Only to feel Reet stand next to me. I hurriedly kept the phone, "all okay Reet?" Her smile and the moon lighting up her face was a moment I wanted to etch in my mind.

So they are back on neutral grounds. Do you think Sid hates Ranbir too much?
Any suggestions for this chapter? Please like and comment!

Casting Kirti Sanon as Reet! Sweet, bubby and with an air of mystery.