42. Stolen

Reet's POV

Delhi with it's chills and fog was really cold. The winter was kicking in and I was carrying my shawl over Sid's grey hoodie. But I needed to go back to my place.

I needed my stuff plus I had to wrap it up and then shift with Sid. He had offered me his place or the alternate of him staying at mine with his house help sending meals. But forging my place back meant picking back the hefty advance I paid.

I knew Sid did not need the money but investing for our children seemed a better idea. As we reached my place to pick some essential woollens I was shocked to see the door wide open. Sid pushed me aside. "Reet wait here" he instructed and slowly opened the door. I couldn't breathe this was scary.

Who could be here? I heard him open the balcony door and a few minutes later he came out. "What's wrong Sid?" I wanted to go in and see. "Someone has ransacked the house and broken every thing in there." Sid called the police reporting a robbery. The police came in a few minutes. Blaring their loud alarm, scaring most aunties whose husbands were out for who work.

I entered the house with the police. My planters lay smashed on the floor. The entire contents of my almirah were on the floor making it look scary. My coffee machine was also smashed. I knew it was not the time to blame anyone but in my heart I doubted only only person. An hour later we walked out not allowed to pick my clothes for evidence sake. And it rattled me a bit. More than I wanted to show Sid. Plus none of those things mattered over my children's wellness.

We went to Sid's car and he slowly drove us. I was exhausted and shut my eyes for two minutes. I felt the car had stopped. "Reet, we are here?" I opened my eyes, squinted to see in the dark. The heater had made the car comfortably cozy. We were in a parking of sorts. "Sid where are we?"

Sid removed his seat belt, bent over to remove mine. "Get going baby mama, we are at the mall to eat and find you a few clothes. It's gonna get cold soon and I don't want my babies suffering."

He got off and came from the other side. Offering me his hand. I quickly grabbed it and we went to eat some yummy sandwiches with a decaffeinated coffee for me. How much I loved coffee. My thoughts went back to my broken coffee machine making me depressed. "I will pick a new one right now Reet, stop worrying. What scares me is that if they were thieves and did not take anything. What were they looking for?" I looked up from wholfing down the fries. "What if they came looking for me?" It was my deepest fear and I knew speaking these words meant blaming his mother but I couldn't help it.

"No babes. Don't ever think like that. I'm here rest assured no one can hurt you ever," he said and looked around. He got up, picked his phone, slammed down his credit card and said. I'm outside making a call. Please finish your food, order a dessert and I shall be back by then.

Sid walked angrily. Something was up. I concentrated on ordering a banoofee for the twins. It had healthy fruits in it too. Perfect!