34. The lonely ache

Sid's POV

I felt lost ever since Ishani's call, the thoughts of Reet gave me an unsteady feeling that gripped my heart. Was Reet actually with Ranbir or something had happened to her? I did not know. But my ego wouldn't let me ask her.

As a boy who dreamt of the perfect big city life I was fucked up. All I wanted was a steady job, urban house with a wife and a kid. Here I was, in the midst of my green farms deciding which tractors needed replacements. The big city transformation for a small town boy never happens. Because each step towards modernisation has two steps of ruralization. The transformation was impossible for me.

I tried talking to my mother last night and making her understand why I would never love Shruti. All we had was a terrible fight with her calling Reet a money hungry whore and scaring me about cutting me off from family fortunes. None worked and then she cried about how I was spoiling her life, worse than my father had. So much for being the ideal son!

Reet called me, "hello Sid, you called?" Her hello told me she was not okay. But then who was I to ask in the larger plans? "What's wrong Reet? Where were you? Ishani called me so many times," I was concerned but I had to hurt her to make it easier for her. I viciously added a few lines I'm not proud of, "If you are busy with Mr Superstar tell your friends to call him not me. I Don't need to know where you spend your nights!"
But her reply hurt me, "Fuck off Sid and you know what? I wish I had slept with him over an insensitive jerk like you."

It hurt the very deepest of my soul because in there Reet belonged to me. I might marry Shruti even lead a filmsy happy family but my soul carved Reet much like air. "Reet, reet, reet!" I muttered and flopped down in front of the tractor. The pundit would fix my wedding date with Shruti today but how long will fixing my life take me?

I came back in the evening. I couldn't stand the fake jovial celebrations. The date finalised was January next year. Only 4 months later but my mother wanted me hitched before Neil. Her imaginary competition was lame. Thankfully some stars did not align before this. Neil was in Singapore and I had nothing better to do, so I opened my laptop only to see a mail from Reet titled emergency leave.

I opened it and it was addressed to me, our common colleague, HR and the CEO.
"Hello,

I would not be able to come to.work for a few weeks due to some health issues. The doctor has advised me bed rest and I will be moving back to my parents. Please accept this as my temporary resignation and terminate me on the health grounds. I will be available for work from home for a week to settle the Ranbir party. I'm sorry and I promise to abide by the termination policy and not pick up any work.
Much thanks."

Ohh shit! Reet! She was going away forever? Then Shruti walked into my room with tea. My life was metaphorically changing and there was not much I could do. I needed to learn rebelling but the thought of leaving my mother lonely devasted me.

Here's the update lovelies I wish I could make Sid stronger but sometimes family has a big hand in how we become in life. And Sid's mother has surely dominated his life. PS how about hitting the like button?