37. Back

Reet's POV

The weather in Mumbai did not help. Plus I felt I was being followed did not help. Maybe it was the pregnancy hormones but I was scared all the time. Andy's house was a welcome change. With my meager savings, I was not going to afford a house and having this baby, so the free boarding was a great help.

I wanted Ranbir's help but the thought of this child being called his would scar me and him for life. Plus I did not my kid under constant media scrutiny. Ishani was in a Neil bubble I did not want to break. Plus she was too close to Sid for my comfort of telling her where I was.

The humidity here got me, I felt lethargic and spent most of my days trying to cook a decent home meal. Today I had burnt rajma and I craved them, so I ordered but that was not a habit I planned on. It would dent my savings and my health too. When the house phone rang I was startled. Only Andy called to check up on me. Cursing him and the lack of rajma in my life I picked the call.

"hello?" "Reet?" "Ishani? Did that fool Andy give you my number?" "Reet I was worried. How are you?" I laughed angry, hurt and thankful at the same time, "sure if you say so ishani but when you remove the I love Neil blinkers you remember me." It was the reality plus my view of the world wasn't exactly as rosy as hers.

"Reet! I have been so worried about you. Please don't block me out. Where are you?" I knew she knew where I was. Plus no point hiding it from her,
"I'm in Mumbai at Andy's old house. I needed someplace to think quietly and I look horrible. Sid is gone from my life and this baby doesn't deserve the stigma the society will place but I want my baby. Ishani please help me," suddenly my brave demeanour crashed.

I clasped the phone aching for her to come and take me away from this depressive situation. For the next hour Ishani pacified me and I knew she cared.

After the late night rajma chawal and a good read of What to Expect I was sleeping when the bell rang nonstop. I checked the time 4 AM, was an ungodly hour. I was scared when the door pounded. "Reet, reet it's me." I knew the voice. It was the one I heard in my dreams always. Sid was here.

I rushed and opened the door, "Sid?" "Reet!" And suddenly I was in the biggest hug, the kinds that crushed me and we cried tears of joy, abandonment, having each other and still being far. Tears that washed away our loneliness, tears which talked more than we ever could. And this time around I knew Sid would never leave.

"Reet?" He said kissing my head. "Hmm?" I did not want to talk. This was the moment I dreamed of for so many days, words might break the magic we experienced. "The baby?" His two words told me he knew. I froze. I was not sure if I wanted him to know right now. What if he had come only for the baby? A fear crept up as I walked inside and signalled him in. "Do you want water?"

Ahh! Another one in less than 24 hours. Hope you guys like it. Please press the like button if you do.