(9) Secrets, Lies and Love

Start from the beginning

"Wow," Chris said, grabbing my attention back, "You have to be the first girl that I have met who doesn't think he is hot."

"Of course, will all of my raging teenage hormones, I think he is hot, but that doesn't mean that I have to like who the guy is." There was something off about the way that Chris looked at me when I said that.

"Alright then, what movie would you like to see?" he asked me.

I picked an action movie that had been out for a while but I wanted to see it and hadn't had the chance to. When the movie started I looked around the theater. We were the only ones in there. Throughout the movie, I did what I usually did when I was alone in the theater. I commented on the movie. I half expected Chris to get annoyed but after about twenty minutes he joined me.

When we got out of the theater it was still early in the evening.

"I have a question for you Chris."

"Shoot," he said to me.

"Okay, so my best friend is working tonight and it is kind of my fault that she is and not out with her boyfriend. I also haven't seen her all week and I really wanted to stop in and say hi. Is that okay?"

"That sounds cool. But, doesn't she go to school with us?'

"No," I said as we got into my car, "she goes to school a half-hour away in Long Prairie. We met at work cause her step-aunt owns the place."

"That sounds cool."

I got on the freeway and made my way back the way we had come from. Instead of going all the way to my house, I took the exit at Melrose. When I pulled into the parking lot, it seemed that Chris's jaw almost fell open.

"With all the money your parents must have, why would you work at a Dairy Queen?" he asked.

Being use to this question, I answered, "Well, it is my parent's money, not mine. Plus, I think that it gives me good work ethic so I will  

be able to raise my own money when I get older."

"I guess that makes sense."

We got out of my car and walked into the building. No matter how much I say that I hate working at this place, every time that I walk in  

to see the yellow tiled floor with the red rug on it, I feel a sense of coming home again.

There was no one up by the front counter so I guessed that they didn't hear the bell that goes off when someone comes in. I walked up to the counter and grabbed the microphone used to call back orders.

"I would like six Chicken Strip Baskets and ten Double Cheeseburgers and fifteen medium Mountain Dews."

I could hear some people moving in back and then Chasity came up to the front. Behind her was Kyle, who we had nicknamed "Lil Boy" and behind him was Elizabeth. It was decided that Elizabeth was too much of a mouth full to say, so Chas had given her the nickname ER. Chas came through the Employee's Only door and came up to me to give me a hug.

"Hello Chasity," I said to her.

"Hello Andria," she said back. This was our routine for whenever we saw each other.

"Chas, this is Chris," I told her. "Chris, this is Chasity."

"It's nice to meet you Chasity," Chris said.

"You can call me Chas. It's nice to meet you too."

"Hey Andy, have you checked out the schedule for next week yet?" this was code that Chas wanted to talk to me without anyone listening in.

"No I haven't. Hey Chris, I will be right back. Tell Kyle or ER what you want. It's on me. Kyle, ER, give the man whatever he wants. Employee discount."

"Okay, Andy," Kyle knew exactly what employee discount meant.

I walked to the back with Chas. We stood by the schedule and then she started her talk.

"Oh my God, that boy is hot. I don't think you did him justice over the phone."

"IKR!" I said back to her. I wasn't usually one to use the texting talk for 'I Know Right', but when I was around my best friend, things like sounding like a blonde didn't bother me.

"He looks a lot like that Jason Adams guy though doesn't he?" she asked me.

That was something that I never really considered. "I am not sure. But doesn't every hot guy look like Jason Adams to you?"

"Yeah, I guess that's true," she said while laughing.

Elizabeth came in the back then. "Andy, that boy is hot."

"I know that ER. So, has it been busy?"

"No, not really," Kyle said, coming in the back. Yeah, we usually just leave customers up front after we serve them.

"Anyways," I said to them, "I have to get back to my date."

"I expect details later tonight missy," Chasity said to me.

"How about tomorrow when we work together like we discussed earlier?"

"I guess I can wait that long," she pouted.

"Alright, I will see you guys later," I said to the tree of them and walked back out into the lobby.  

Chris was sitting in one of the booths eating a Blizzard.

"What kind did you get?" I asked him.

"Cookie Dough," he answered with a smile.

"Mmm," I said, "that is one of the best.

"I concur. So anything else you want to do tonight?" he asked me.

"Unless you got anything in mind, I am still kinda tired from last night. And I have to work tomorrow from four until close," I told him.

"That's cool," he said and stood up.

We got into my car and I took one of the back roads home. This road was nicknamed 'The Bluffs' for all of the hills and curves. Since I have been driving on it for two years now, I feel comfortable going fast. I do not think that Chris enjoyed it though.

"Chris, if you blow chunks in my car I am going to be very upset," I informed him.

"I will be okay," he said, "next time I would appreciated a little slower speed though. A least until I get used to it."

"I will remember that."

When we got to my house, Chris walked me to my door. We stood on the door step and I looked up at him while he looked down at me. Like we were pulled to each other, we started leaning together. We almost kissed when something distracted us.