xxviii.

You, Castiel, Crowley, and the Winchesters all rendezvous outside of a barn. Dean is telling us a plan he made.

"And when he does..." Dean trailed off just enough for Sam to cut in.

"Yeah, I got it. You charge in with the Blade solo." Sam said, already finding flaws, "And the kid? What, we just watch and wait until Cain attacks? I thought this was a rescue mission."

"We save the kid after Cain shows." Dean said.

"We know what Cain's after. That's our only advantage. We want to trap Cain, we use it." Castile agreed.

"A twelve year old boy is not an 'it.'" You agreed with Sam.

"I can't believe what I'm hearing." Sam said, shaking his head. You both really didn't like this plan.

"Neither can I." Crowley agreed.

"What's the matter, Crowley? You suddenly grow a conscience? Too good to put a minor in danger?" Dean crossed his arms.

"Don't give a damn about the kid. I'm talking about the risk to us." Crowley corrected.

"There is no us. You're here for one reason. That's to hand me the Blade." Dean opened his hand up.

"Yeah, about that." Crowley receded the blade from Dean. "Seeing as this is shaping up to be one of those, uh, two-step capture then kill kind of deals, I think your buddies would agree it's better to keep the Blade out of your hands until we've got Cain sewn up, just to be safe."

Dean looked at you and Sam. Sam shrugged his shoulders in agreement. Dean rolled his eyes.

"Now, back to this plan of yours."

~

Austin played basketball inside the barn. Sam watches from outside the barn window. Sam turns towards Dean who in turn walks over to Sam. They faced each other.

"So..." Sam breathed out, "If this works and we capture Cain, then what?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we c-- If we come to it." Dean was sweating, you and Cass waited on the other side of the barn. You were waiting. He saw you, staring at you, he saw the nervous look you had on. You weren't ready for this. You and Cass were Cains first wave of pain, to weaken him a bit. Dean wanted to be with you, he had accepted his fate, but not that it would be so soon. Not if he hadn't been with you first, he never even told you how he felt. He really thought he was going to die here. But now, with you and everything else, he can't. Especially if he dies, there'll be no one else to stop Cain.

"You know last week, when I said that I would go down swinging when the time came?" Dean continued, Sam nodded, "I meant that I was at peace with that. I just didn't realize the time would come so soon, you know, like right now. I'm scared, Sam."

~

Austin walks out of the barn carrying his basketball. He has earbuds in his ears, playing his favorite song. Down in Mexico by The Coasters. Austin stops abruptly and turns around.

"Someone there?" He called out, taking the ear buds out. When he turns back around, Cain is standing there.

"Hello, Austin." Cain said.

"What are you doing here?" Austin asked.

"I'm here to kill you." Cain kindly smiled. Cain pulls his knife from under his coat.

"No, you won't." You emerged from the barn, Castiel following, "Run!"

Austin ran toward the barn. Sam meets him at the door and guides him inside. Leaving the two of you with Cain.