xxvi.

"Gonna answer that?" A demon you had been interrogating asked again. You rolled your eyes, "Why are you stuck doing the Winchesters dirty work?"

"What makes you think I'm doing the Winchesters work?" You asked, cocking your head to the side in innocent curiosity.

"The only people stupid enough to try find Cain are the Winchesters." He looked you up and down, "Plus, you seem kind of like a Sam type. I heard Dean likes more of the slutty women, the easy ones."

"Did you not notice that I'm the one holding the demon killing knife?" You waved it in front of his face.

"I love my women dominating." His eyes went black, and not with lust. You missed Dean and Sam. It was only a matter of time before they realized you were not in the bunker like you promised while they went on a hunt. But you couldn't help it, the books were getting you nowhere and you hated when Dean ordered you to do anything.

"You're wasting your time." He mocked you as you walked back away from him. Your phone kept ringing, it could be Dean checking on you, or he could be mad at you. Either way it could wait. "I told you, I don't know where he is. Me and Cain ain't friends. He kills demons. Low-level guys like me keep our distance."

"You sure about that?" You came around him, stroking his arm first. Then when that didn't work you sliced it. He screamed "All right!"

"All right." You walked back around to see the demon's eyes clear to normal. "He's been seen, past few months, making passes through Bogg's marsh, one county over. No one knows why, what for. Like I said, we keep our distance."

You sighed, relieved. This was perfect. If you found Cain, two things could happen. The river could end at its source, or Dean could learn to resist. You'd figure it out. But this was the biggest lead you'd had in months. You pointed the tip of the blade in front of the demons eye.

"And that's all you know?" You checked, threatening.

"Yes." He said, swallowing, "Yes, I swear."

You hold yourself back by dropping the blade by your side. The demon exhales loudly and hangs his head in relief. Then you remembered he was a demon, letting him go would be stupid when he can go right out and plaster your plan on demon calls and reign more havoc.

"Okay." You said, then stabbed him in the stomach with your blade. He screamed and you stood away from him, trying to rip yourself off this picture.

~

Dean walked away from a food truck, leaving you a message on your cell and carrying a tray with food and drinks. He hangs up the phone and gets into the Impala.

"So?" Sam asked.

"(Y/N) is still not answering me." Dean grumbled, handing Sam the tray of food and leaning against the steering wheel, he wondered if he did anything wrong again.

"Great." Sam laughed to himself, having seen this face on Dean never gets old, "Well, I have been looking into Tommy Tolliver, seeing if I can figure out why Cain went to the trouble of springing him."

"And?" Dean asked, keeping his head down.

"Still pretty unclear. I did find this blotter out of Orlando about his dad, Leon Tolliver." He pointed to his laptop acreen. "Uh, like father, like son. Convicted felon, fresh warrant for an assault charge, but he's gone missing, hasn't been seen in a week."

"You think the two are connected?" Dean continued to urge his brothers point.

"I mean, the police just assumed he fled the warrant, but if Cain took Tommy, it might not be a coincidence." Sam finally got out.

"So, what, Cain's got a vendetta against the entire family?" Dean finally rose his head.

"Maybe. I mean, it wouldn't be the weirdest thi-" Sam started but Dean couldn't hold it in anymore.

"Did I scare her off?" Dean finally asked for his brothers opinion, a moment Sam had been waiting for but he played it cool.

"Who? (Y/N)? Dean, you couldn't scare her away with the fear of God. The girls fearless, you gotta give her that. She saw you as a Demon and ran straight for you." Sam said, Dean nodding, hoping he was right, "I just think it's so funny."

"What?" Dean asked.

"That, you know, its like you look at her when shes not lookin', she stares at you when you're not looking. Its adorable, really." Sam smiled.

"Yeah, whatever." Dean grabbed his burger and started eating it, he shouldn't of opened this door.

"What I mean is, I haven't seen you like this in a very long time Dean." Sam gave him a crooked smile, "I think shes good for you. She gives you a run for your money. I like her. You don't have to-"

Dean's cell phone rings and he pulls it out of his pocket, "It's (Y/N)." He got anxious, quickly answering and putting the phone on speaker, "Hey, where have you been? I've left you like 20 messages."

"Illinois." You came clean. Dean practically had an aneurism.

"What happened to staying in the bunker?" Dean asked, "Is Cass with you?"

"It got kinda stuffy, I wanted to stretch my legs." You toyed with it, but Sam was the only one to find it kinda funny.

"In Illinois?" Dean tried not to yell, You felt Deans glare through the phone.

"Yeah.. Chicago is beautiful in the Spring." You made up.

"Hey, (Y/N), we got a lead." Sam finally spoke up to cut the tension of your fight build up, "Cain abducted a Texas death row inmate named Tommy Tolliver."

You were already crouching down in a wooded area holding a white sneaker with the letters 'TDJC' on the bottom. You looked around you, the mounds of dirt and shallow graves surrounded you for maybe miles.

"He's dead." You told them, tossing the shoe.

"What? How do you know?" Sam asked you.

"Call it an educated guess." You said sarcastically, then as you stood bit of fear slipped through, "Cain has been very busy."

"Okay, where are you? We'll come to you." Dean said, it was like he was your father picking you up.

A branch snapped from behind you. You look around uncomfortably. Someone was definitely watching you. You needed to handle that first.

"I'll call you back." You turned around to see who it was had emerged from the bushes. He was waiting for you to hang up the phone.

"(Y/N) if you hang up this phone, I-" Dean started but you hung up. You had much more pressing matters than Dean.

"Hello, (Y/N)."