xxv.

Cass walked up behind Sam. You were still reading, trying to find any lore on the Mark.

"It's late. I'm gonna drive around a little bit, see if I can find Claire." Cass sighed, putting his cost on.

"Right now?" Sam looked at his watch.

"I have to try."

"Well, be careful." Sam warned him.

You stretched your legs and your stomach grumbled. Dean was suppossed to make you a sandwich so you went to go check on him but you look into an empty kitchen.

"Wait, Sam? Cass? Where's Dean?" You asked. The three of you exchanged a look. Then it all clicked. Where else would he be? What would he have stopped making food to do? You all take off at a dead run down the corridor.

"... death? All on you. You put him in harm's way and kept him there. Gadreel possessing Sam? Who was it that tricked Sam into letting him in? Oh, and then my personal favorite: Dean Winchester." You heard Metatron yell and taunt Dean through the door. "Whose entire existence is defined by a war on the dark and monstrous – bromancing his way around the country with the king of Hell!"

"Let's try this again. What is the next step?" Dean asked, not noticing Sam pounding on the door.

"What is it you humans say so inelegantly? Oh, yes – go screw yourself." Metatron was making it worse for himself and you didn't understand it because Dean would kill him.

"Dean?!" Sam pounded on the door listening even closer than you were.

"Now it's time to get serious." Dean said, you didn't know what that meant.

"Dean!" Sam started to try and kick the door down

Dean mumbled something about the mark.

"Dean, open the door." You grew impatient, joining in on the barrage.

"Hey, open the door!" Sam pounded his shoulder in again.

Metatron was screaming. There's a glimmer of angel grace shining under the door.

"What is..."

Sam bodyslams the door.

"the next step??" Dean continued to yell. Metatron screams again and more light pours out.

Sam kicks the door again to no avail. Castiel shoves him out of the way.

"Move!"Castiel raises his arm. Castiel's eyes glow and he sends grace from the palm of his hand to shatter the dungeon door. He looks winded, and Sam runs past him into the dungeon, where Dean is holding the angel blade against Metatron's chest. The Mark is glowing red, the way it had when Dean was having nightmares.

"No, Dean! Hey, stop, stop." Sam grabs Dean and pulls him away. Castiel checks on Metatron.

"You were killing him." Sam said. You listened from inside the dungeon, staying at the scene of the crime.

"I have to take him back." Cass said, pulling Metatron out.

"Cass, this won't happen again." Sam said for Dean.

"I gave my word. I have fences to mend in Heaven, and as it is, I have a lot to explain." Cass shook his head.

"If you ever ask me for help again, I will choose death. You realize it's going to get worse, Dean. You're gonna get worse!" Castiel finally dragged Metatron away.

You turned around to look at Dean, who looked as if you just woke him up from a hangover nap. He was getting worse. You couldn't let this continue.

~

Dean is sitting at the table in the library, holding his head in his hands. You walk in after leaving Sam to clean up the rest of the dungeon.

"Hey. You okay?" You sat down across from him.

"He said the river ends at the source." He told you, putting his hands down so that they fell on top of yours. He needed to hold something that wasn't sharp or deadly.

"What do you think that means?" You asked him.

"Maybe nothing." Dean sighed, staring at your hands, "It was the last thing he said before you guys busted in."

"Dean. Look, we had to-" You began to explain yourself but he shook his head.

"Hey, no. I get it, alright." He said, not looking you in the eye for a bit, "I – I was gonna kill him. And I couldn't stop myself."

"We'll figure it out, okay? You know what Cas said about needing a powerful force?" You asked, presenting what you were contemplating all day in the bunker.

"Yeah, so?" Dean urged you to continue.

"So, I've been thinking. Cain still has the Mark, right?" You questioned, Dean nodded his response. "And for years, he's lived with it. So yeah, the Mark is strong, but – Dean, maybe there's a part of you that wants to give in to it. And maybe instead of everyone else, you have to be fighting the mark, you know? Maybe... part of that powerful force has to be you."

Your cell phone plays your favorite song as your ringtone. Dean lets go of your hands and sits back.

"You should probably get that." He said. So you did, sighing as you did so.

"Hello?" You answered.

"It's Claire." Claire's voice came through the other side. "I've thought it over. Maybe it's only fair to hear your side of it. I mean, Castiel seemed to trust you, a lot."

"That's good to hear." You smiled, knowing you could at least help Castiel today, "Where do you wanna meet?"

~

She wanted to meet along a lakeside the next day. You drove up to some camper that had a bench in front of it. You got out of the car and sit on the park bench. You felt as if someone was watching you.

"No!" Suddenly, Claire gets up and runs to the open camper door.

You turn your head, to see some girl with a bat. She swings her bat at you, but you duck. Some other guy comes out of the bushes with an axe and Claire ran toward you. In a panic, you took the girl in a choke hold using the bat.

Hesitantly, the guy moves forward in attacking you, you shove the girl to the side. Her body bruising after the sheer force of being blown back into the camper and skidding on the ground.

He swung the axe, you jumped back to avoid it then grabbed the handle. You head butted him, and took the axe from him. With one hand you shove the man down on the ground next to her. You felt so powerful, you felt power coursing through your veins and clouding your mind. Having thrown off two attackers, watching the way you were so full of strength and superiority. There were tracks, practically craters from where they slid in the mud by you. You picked up the axe.

"No!" Claire yelled again. You stopped yourself, you weren't like this. This power did not control you, you couldn't let it. You didn't want to become like the other Nephilim. You were not an abomination. Still you raised the axe. The couple flinched. "No, no!"

You swung the axe in your might – into the park bench. The couple ran off, unharmed. You faced Claire. She turned around and goes back into the camper, she didn't want to talk, and now there's no doubt you scared her. You scared yourself.

You drove away.