Chapter 45

Cassie

"I think we need to talk about something." he says, his face barely inches away from mine.

Mikey's words echo through my head as I feel his warm breath on my face.

"Cassie, you're so beautiful, and I know it's wrong, but-"

"I know." I agree. "We probably should talk about this."

"Cassie, I love you, but it feels so... so wrong!"

"Mikey, I think I know what we need to do about this." I state.

His expression of mad romance quickly turns to a grim one.

"Yeah." he says, nodding. "I think I do, too. We need to wait."

I nod. "Just until I'm sixteen. It will be less weird then."

He leans in, kissing me tenderly on the lips for a moment, then slowly pulling away.

"I just needed that one last kiss." he hums softly. "But we can still share your bed, right? Just without the fluff."

I chuckle and nod. "Yes." I reply. "We can still have sleepovers."

"Good, I was starting to worry." Mikey jokes. His expression then turns serious. "See, that's the thing I like about you. You look and seem so much older than you actually are. No one would ever believe you're just fourteen even if you said it. You'd have to show your birth certificate or something for someone to actually believe it."

I chuckle. "So what do you wanna do with the rest of the day?" I ask.

"Well," he says thoughtfully, "I thought maybe we could go meet your teachers so you can get to know them."

I nod in agreement.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea!"

"Oh, Mikey, before I forget," Patrick says, a grave look on his face, "I'm not sure how exactly to say this, but, well, your brother Gerard has been in an accident."

"What?" Mikey asks, looking shocked. "When was this?"

"Just last night." Patrick says with a very serious look on his face. "We think he may have gone out drinking. He may be slipping into his old habits again."

"Okay, tell him we'll be by later." Mikey says.

"Will do." Patrick agrees, giving Mikey a sympathetic look and walking away to tend to the patients.

"Okay," Mikey says, with a little less cheer than earlier, "let's go." He sighs, clearly disturbed and more tense than usual. He escorts me into the elevator and back up to the main floor.

"Mikey." I say, stepping in front of him as we exit the elevator. He seems slightly surprised by this and stops.

"What?"

"Mikey, this can wait. Clearly this is bothering you. We can go see him now if it would help you feel better. Otherwise you shouldn't try to think about it, because I have a feeling it won't be fun for either of us if you go on like this."

Mikey smiles. "You really are wise beyond your years. Let's go."

First, he takes me to the English teacher, whom I discover is Spencer Smith.

"Hello there." Spencer says. "Glad to see you're finally here! I would hate for you to keep going through what was happening to you. So basically, in here, we read, we write, and that's about it. Questions?" he asks.

"Not really." I shrug.

"Great! I look forward to having you in class!"

Mikey escorts me down the hall. "Leave it to Spencer to keep things short and sweet. You'll meet your science teacher later, but for now, let's meet your health teacher."

I let out a groan, and Mikey stops.

"What?" he chuckles.

"Health. It's extremely awkward and basically a semester of the teacher trying to push abstinence on us." I explain as we continue walking.

"I promise you, it's not that bad. Ray's the teacher, and the goal of this class is to give you the tools you need to make informed decisions in life. We just want you to know how to handle all the situations that might come your way in life."

"Oh." is all I can manage to come up with for a reply.

"Also, fun fact: Ray is a licensed surgeon, so if you ever need surgery and the surgeon has a fro rather that red hair and glasses, that would be why."

I nod as we approach a classroom at the end of the hallway, where a man with a fro stands.

Ray Toro.

"Well, hello there, you must be Cassie!"

I nod shyly and cower slightly behind Mikey's back.

Ray chuckles. "No need to be afraid or shy!" he then holds his hand out, gesturing for me to shake it, which I do. "I'm Ray, I'm your health teacher. You'll have health with me for a semester, and I'm also here to help with anything you might need help with as far as life decisions go. Also, if there's something medically wrong and you don't feel comfortable going to Patrick about it, just come to me and I can also help you out. I promise, I won't make this class as weird as public schools do. Questions?"

I shake my head.

"I look forward to having you in class! We'll try to work on getting you to come out of your shell a little bit, okay?"

I just nod, staring at the floor.

"Both of you have a wonderful day!" Ray says as Mikey leads me away, already heading to the next stop.

"What's with the sudden shyness?" Mikey asks.

"I just get shy sometimes." I shrug.

"Understandable, I can relate." Mikey nods. "Just so you know," he says uneasily, "Ray also does the pelvic exams, which are required. Just thought I'd warn you beforehand, because knowing him, he'll probably pop the question and have you do it after class the first day."

My stomach begins to turn. No wonder Patrick didn't ask me to have that done yesterday. It's because he's not responsible for it.

"Hey, Cassie," Mikey chuckles, "try not to get yourself too worked up over it right now, okay? All he does is take a quick look, makes sure everything's healthy, and then he's done. I promise." he says, pulling me into a side hug and rubbing my arm up and down.

He leads me around a few corners before we are interrupted by a bell, which causes him to turn us around and go the other way.

"Well, I guess it's time for lunch!" he says cheerfully.