Chapter 40

Cassie

About an hour later, Mikey dries my final tears and helps me to my feet.

I hate needles, goddammit. I really do.

"All done, Cassie!" Patrick says. "I'm sorry, I couldn't let something that deep go like that. It had a high risk of infection, and trust me, infection is WAY worse."

"You ready to go back out there?" Mikey asks.

"Yeah, sure..." I reply.

Patrick wraps my hand in a bandage, and I yelp a little bit.

"Shh..." Mikey says, rocking me back and forth. "He's all done, sweetie. He's all done." he says in a soothing tone.

"Does it hurt too much?" Patrick asks.

I nod, shaking hard.

"I can give you something for that, if you want."

"Why don't you do that? We wouldn't want Cassie to be in too much pain, now, would we?" Mikey says.

Patrick goes to the door and steps out.

"Hey Ryan," he half-yells, "got any painkillers already filled and ready to go?"

"Like always." I hear Ryan reply.

Ryan comes in with a syringe and hands it to Patrick.

"Is that all?"

"I think so." Patrick replies, closing the door.

"Hey, look at me." Mikey says, tilting my head to face him.

"Cassie, why don't you sit for this part? I know how uneasy you can get with these things."

I feel Patrick slowly push the needle into my hand, and I whimper a little bit.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm right here, you're doing great." Mikey says, stroking the top of my head. "The pain will be gone soon, just think. Won't that be nice?"

Patrick pulls the needle out, and Mikey helps me to my feet.

"All done!" Patrick says, allowing Mikey and I out first, then following us. "Alright, Ferrah, time to check on you!" he says cheerfully, pulling out a clipboard and striding over to her bed.

Andy grabs my wrist and pulls me to sit down next to him and Max on Max's bed.

"You alright? I heard you crying." he asks concernedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I reply. "It just hurts, getting stitches."

"I'm sorry. We haven't been in operation for all that long, and the hospital's really new. We need to sand down those corners, we just bought the nightstands about a week ago." he says. "I'm the vice principal, by the way. So if something's up and Mikey's not around, just drop by my office and we'll talk." He nods to me understandingly.

Patrick proceeds to check up on Ferrah in a very thorough fashion, ensuring she's healthy.

In the meantime, Mikey pulls me aside, away from all the people, pressing me against the wall once we're alone.

"I think we need to talk about something." he says, his face barely inches away from mine.