Chapter 32

Max

I wake up to see Andy by my side, and he looks terrible.

I know I did this to him, too, which is the worst part.

"Andy, I'm so sorry..." I apologize, tears in my eyes. I shouldn't have done this to him.

"Max, this wasn't your fault. You just gave me a little scare." he says with a soft smile, gently pinching my cheek.

"Andy-"

"Shh, don't cry, honey. You've done enough of that for one day, trust me." he says, rocking me back and forth.

Wait a minute.

Hold up.

Did he just call me... honey?

"Andy..." I whisper.

"Max, something's bugging you, isn't it? Is that why you had an anxiety attack?"

I nod.

"I think we need to reestablish the fact that you can come to me with anything, anything at all, Max."

I stare at him. There's no way I can tell him.

"Tell me, Max." he urges. "What's the matter? What's going on inside that little head of yours?"

I continue to stare at him, wanting to confess my love to him, but I can't. I begin picking out his features in my mind to calm myself down.

"Maxie, can't you tell me?"

I shake my head.

He ruffles my hair with his hands, petting it softly afterwards.

"I'll do whatever it takes, Max. Just take your time. I do want to know, though, so I can help you."

I can't tell him.

"Say something, Max, anything." he pleads.

"I-... I can't tell you." I choke out.

"Of course you can, Max. Take your time."

"No, it would be weird..."

"I'll tell you something weird. To make you feel better."

I shrug.

He leans closer, and I can feel his warm breath in my ear.

"I like you, Maxie, I like you a lot. I can't stop thinking about you, no matter what."

My eyes go wide.

But I can't tell him. Ever.

Funny he should mention it, though.