Chapter 17

Cassie

We pull up in front of the school, and Mikey kills the engine.

"So, Cassie, you ready to see your new room?" Mikey asks.

"Of course!" I reply.

"Alright, grab a few boxes or whatever and let's go!"

He grabs a few boxes himself, and we head inside. He leads me down a few halls with black marble walls, and finally into an area where there was a sign that said Dormitories.

"So, teachers are to the left and students are to the right. You're in room 13103. Meaning we get to take the elevator and head up to floor 13 and go to the 2nd door on the left." Mikey explains, leading me to an elevator and pressing the 13 button. "Hopefully you don't have triskaidekaphobia."

He said it so fast, I couldn't understand or process it.

"What?" I ask.

"Triskaidekaphobia. Fear of the number thirteen." he explains as the elevator doors close and we go up.

"Oh. Well, I don't."

"Good." he replies.

We stand in awkward silence for a few moments, not knowing what to say, only to be broken moments later by the elevator's beep, letting us know we have reached the destination floor.
Mikey leads me to my room, which isn't too far from the elevator. I notice it has a lock with a keypad on it.

"Your passcode is your birthday in 6-digit form." he says.

I think about it for a moment, then type in 101302 and the lock clicks, the door opening a little ways.

"There you go!" he says.

I just stand there, dumbfounded.

"Well," he says with a smile, "are you gonna go inside and check it out?"

I push through the door, expecting a small, empty bedroom, but no. Of course it has to be a gorgeous, full blown house. It's still relatively empty, but the place is huge. I gawk at the size, freezing in the doorway.

"Cassie? Are you okay?"

I ignore him, taking it all in. The red and black walls, just like at home, the black spiral staircase leading up to the loft, the black marble counters, the stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, stove, sink, and dishwasher, the rosewood cabinets and doors...

"Cassie?" Mikey asks, interrupting my thoughts. This time he sounds worried. He rests the back of his hand on my forehead.

"Oh, sorry, I zoned out... it's just a lot to take in, that's all. This is amazing!"

"Maybe you should rest on the couch over there. You've had quite the day." he says, pointing to a black leather couch.

I set down the boxes and begin to walk out of the dorm, but Mikey stops me.

"I'm serious, Cassie. Go lay down."

"But-"

"Cassie." he says warningly, both his eyebrows raised. Uh-oh. Serious face.