Chapter 3

Max

High school. Jeez, if I'd known it'd be this bad, I would've begged my parents to let me do online school until they gave in. The only selling point for me was my mom saying, "Oh, Max, honey, you'll meet other kids like you."

That never happened. I should've known.

Let me just clear something up before we continue: I am a girl, not a boy. My parents just wanted a boy and they wanted to name him Max, but I'm a girl. So they named me Max anyway.

Right now, I'm on my way to school. I'm driving, here I sit, cursing my government, for not using the taxes to fill holes with more cement instead of different programs that frankly make public schools too powerful. Well, I'm more riding. My parents drive me. I'm not old enough to drive. But still. This is a really bumpy road filled with potholes and is in desperate need of work. And I really do feel like schools make themselves too powerful. Basically, they tell you what your priorities in life are and what your life has to be like.

Your priorities are something like this:

1. School

2. Homework

3. Religion (if you have one, which they try to convince you that that, too, doesn't exist)

4. Family

5. Friends

6. Anything else you care about.

Additionally, you must save your money for college. You should avoid spending money on yourself before then to go to concerts and buy stuff for yourself because having a successful career in the creative arts is irrational and unnecessary and will not change this world one bit (I tell you what, Gerard Way has the ability to change this freaking world, so why can't I?). Also, you must be a democrat, whether you like it or not (which I don't really want to take sides here). You should grow up to have a boring office job (because sitting behind a desk all day is really going to get you somewhere in life, right? Haha, didn't think so.).

But the part that annoys me the most is they try to tell us we should listen to happy music with positive messages ("stay away from all those satanic bands like My Chemical Romance, they're bad!" Haha, as if. I wish they knew who really had the positive messages and were helping people. They're not even satanic.)

Basically, everyone picks on me. It's not fun. My peers call me names, they even beat me up. One time, I got shoved in a locker and was there for three days straight before anyone even bothered to get me out. Even after that, I should've gone to the hospital right away because of how dehydrated and injured I was, but nobody bothered.

This is only the beginning of my freshman year. How am I supposed to survive?

Of course, I'm sure some people have it worse. This is only small town Montana, just about as small town as you can get. I can't imagine what it's like in places like New York City.

When I get to school, I grab my bag and step out of the car. I have to walk about another block because this is as far as the school allows parents to go. I begin walking, looking around nervously, waiting to see the who the next person to shove me is.

But instead, I see something impossible.

I rub my eyes to try and fix it, but it's still there.

Andy. Biersack. And he freaking smiles at me. He smiles! At me! Like, who does that?!

He crosses the street and joins me, placing an arm around my shoulders like we've been best friends for years.

"Hi there, Max." he says.

I jerk away and turn around to face him, stopping in front of him.

"Okay, how do you know my name?!" I demand. This is creepy.

"I need to talk to you about something today, Max. But first, my dear, I need you to relax."

He places both his hands on my shoulders and he begins to massage my shoulders, trying to calm my nerves.

"You okay with that, Maxie? Can I call you that?"

I puff a little air out of my mouth, blowing my fringe upward a little bit.

"Fine." I mutter. I feel my head begin to spin, this is all so unreal.

"Maxie, you feeling okay?"

I shake my head, trying to snap out of it.

"I'll be fine." I state quietly.

"No, you're not. You were starting to lose your balance."

"I was, but I'm not now. I'll be fine. I swear."

"Let me carry you."

There's a pause as I process this last statement.

"You'd do that for me?" I ask, slowly and quietly.

"Of course I would, Maxie. I wanna talk to you about something, but I think it's best we go inside and talk about this in the office with your principal." he says, picking me up bridal-style.

I've had a rough morning and a sleepless night, so I fall asleep in his arms, resting my head on his shoulder as he walks. The last thing I remember is Andy smiling down at me.