Chapter 14

Ferrah

"I'm so sick of this wolf!" I whisper yell to him as I sit....on a bench.....in gym class... again.

My mind flashes back to when I was only a small child, everything was different before everything happened. I could participate and nobody teased me. I though all of that would change when I came to this school... it has, but just not the gym part.

"Screw it. I can't take this anymore." I mutter, getting up.

Wolf whimpers in protest, his warning to me not to do it.

I point a firm finger at him. "Stay." I command, then rushing to join the class in a game of football. I decide to play as the receiver, rushing to catch the ball when the quarterback throws it.

I run to catch the ball, and when it finds my hands, a wave of joy hits me. I've helped my team to score a touchdown!

The best part? Josh, our gym teacher, hasn't noticed yet!

My team cheers, and for once in my life, I feel free. Free of the restrictions my heart problems have caused me.

I keep playing for several minutes, and then the fatigue kicks in.

I try to snap myself out of it.

No pain, no gain, Ferrah, I think to myself.

I feel myself get lightheaded, and before I know it, I collapse.

Suddenly, there's lots of yelling, and Josh's by my side. He pulls out a walkie-talkie.

"Ryan, I need help. Ferrah's collapsed, I didn't know she was participating, but  I guess she was. We need to get her to the hospital right now."

"I'm on my way, I'm bringing backup." I hear Ryan reply.

"Alright, Ferrah, just focus on breathing. You need to stay with me. We're gonna get you to the hospital, probably get you in surgery. Just hang on."

I do as he says, terrified. Wolf runs to my side and nuzzles my face, licking it and whimpering.

"Hey, Wolf." I croak weakly.

"Shh, don't try to talk, Ferrah. Just try to breathe, they'll be here soon."

"Alright, Ferrah, relax, we're gonna get you to the hospital." A voice says. Soon, Pete's kneeling beside me. "A lot of injured kids today..." he mutters, barely audible. "Patrick's getting ready to put you into emergency surgery. Then, when you wake up, we'll have Mikey come talk to you."

I suddenly feel a pang of guilt. There's Josh, who is obviously worried and scared. He doesn't deal with this sort of thing every day and shouldn't have to. Then there's Pete, who cares for each and every one of his students and feels personally responsible for all of them. He has a personal, emotional connection to each and every one of us. There's Patrick, who has to take care of each of the students' injuries and takes each and every case seriously and personally. Finally, there's Mikey, who has to make sure each and every student is okay and that they're not hurting on the inside. And if you're not okay, he's not okay. And I'm causing each and every one of them more trouble and stress than usual.

I feel myself being lifted onto a stretcher, and I see Ryan and Dallon. And then I hear a very familiar voice:

"Where is she? What happened?"
Brendon asks frantically, running toward me.

"She's right here. She participated in gym and then collapsed." Josh says shakily.

Brendon grabs my hand and holds it tight.

"Hang on, Ferrah, we've got you now." he says as the stretcher begins rolling.

When we get inside, they take me past the room we usually go to when we're sick or injured. Now I'm getting really scared.

I'm taken to a car, where they put me in the backseat. Since the field is inconveniently far away from the main building, where the medical facility is, they have to drive me. Our campus is weird.

"Sorry, Brendon, you need to drive yourself, we can't fit anyone else." Ryan says apologetically. I can tell he feels bad, and I know Ryden was real.

Brendon kisses me on the forehead and squeezes my hand.

"You hang in there, kiddo. Okay?"

I nod, struggling to breathe as Ryan shuts the door and we head off.

When we get there, we stop and Ryan and Dallon quickly move me inside, Pete following closely behind. Brendon catches up, trading places with Dallon and curling up beside me on the stretcher, telling me everything was going to be okay as I cried into his chest.

They wheel me through a part of the office and administration area I haven't seen before, to the end of a hall, where there are elevator doors. They push the down button, then wheel me inside and push the "B" button. This place has a basement?

When we come out, I'm in a full-out hospital. I'm wheeled into the first room on the right, where we find Patrick, and he has a plethora of tools and supplies, all laid out on trays.

Immediately, Pete starts bustling about me, wrapping a cuff around my arm and sticking electrodes to my chest.

Everyone (except Brendon) starts pulling on latex gloves. I start feeling needles poking into my arms, and several IV bags hang on a pole above me. Brendon strokes the side of my face, trying to comfort me.

"Hang in there, Ferrah. They're gonna knock you out soon, you won't feel anything, I promise." he says as Dallon hooks a tube over my ears and pushes the nubs under my nose, clipping the plastic piece to my septum. Immediately, I feel the oxygen take over, pushing it into my lungs.

I then see a cup-like thing cover my nose and mouth, which I realize is a nebulator, which Ryan is pressing to my face.

"Deep breaths, alright?" Dallon says softly.

He and Ryan say "In, and out" in sync, over and over. I breathe as they instruct. My eyes grow heavy, and before I know it, everything fades to black.

"Sweet dreams, Ferrah." Brendon says. "It'll all be better when you wake up."