Chapter 33

Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Beep. Boop. Ughhhh, I don't want to get out of bed. I don't know what day it is and I don't care - I'm going back to sleep. Without even bothering to open my eyes, I fumble for my bedside table, where I know the alarm is but my arm hangs off the bed. Weird.

I open my eyes and am confronted with by darkness. My eyes adjust to the light and I see some dark figures moving around the room. "He's waking up!" someone exclaims.

Well, yeah. I've probably just slept in till 2 pm again and worried Mikey. That didn't sound like Mikey, though. But only Frank and Mikey have keys to the house.

My surroundings begin to come into focus. The noise I thought was my alarm is coming from a steadily beeping heart monitor hanging above my bed. Why is there a heart monitor?
I see people in black uniforms moving around the room and realise the uniforms look familiar. I don't recognise them. Why are they in my room?

"Someone get Frank!" A familiar voice orders. I recognise the voice as Patrick's. Why's Patrick here? Wait - this isn't my room. Where am I? And why is Frank coming? I spot a tall, dark figure hurrying around with a clipboard. Patrick. He walks over and I try to sit up. 

"Stay there, Gee. I know you're confused but it's better if you don't get up," He says. I feel even more confused and slightly panicked.

Patrick notices this and places his hand on my arm reassuringly. I try to speak but the words just aren't coming out. "It's okay, Gee. You're in the Emo School Hospital. Try to go back to sleep. You need all your strength for recovering," Patrick says. Well, I guess that explains the uniforms, I reasoned. I nod and he smiles. "Good, good. Someone wanna turn the lights on now he's awake?" Patrick calls and a nurse with red hair with black streaks turns them on.

I blink as my eyes adjust to the light and I recognise the previously dark shapes as Emo School Hospital nurses. The room I'm in is one of the Emo School Hospital private rooms. The walls are black. Quite fitting for me, being the emoest fuck in town, I muse. The floor is polished black wood, which adds a nice feel to the room. There are bright white lights hanging from the ceiling, which is nice because too much black would make the room feel small. There are glowing yellow lamps on all the bedside tables, making the room feel cosy. Well, cosy for a hospital anyway. I wouldn't want to be in any other hospital, I think, stroking the soft black hospital blanket. Hospitals usually mean needles and I don't like needles. But Patrick knows about my phobia and tries to make injections as easy as possible for me. Ugh, injections. I shudder. Thinking about needles makes me nervous again.

Hmm. I lift my head and look at my the rest of my body. My left leg is in a heavy, white cast. There's a bandage wrapped around my right thigh and it throbs from time to time. Every time I breathe I get a sharp stab of pain from my ribs. I experiment with varying my breathing. Deep breaths hurt, but shallow breaths aren't so bad.

Some of nurses in the corner go out of the room. I can hear them talking outside in hushed tones. The room falls silent. I know I should be resting, like Patrick said but there are too many thoughts buzzing around my head. What's happening? Why is there a cast on my leg? I stayed at home yesterday. That doesn't explain the pounding in my head. Wait - did I get drunk again last night?! Why won't anybody tell me anything?

I feel overwhelmed by all the unanswered questions and close my eyes. I'm about to drift off when the door suddenly flies open and Frank rushes in, panting. "Gee, you're awake! I'm so happy! I ran all the way here from the science labs!" His face is flushed and he's still breathing heavily. 

"When I heard about the accident, I came straight away." Accident? I guess whatever happened to my leg didn't just happen on its own. "My car was at the garage, but it was only 3 miles so I ran the whole way there," He laughed. He ran all that way - for me. That's so cute... No! Not cute! Frank is just a friend and also a man so that's totally out of the question because I'm straight! I tell myself, but I can't help blushing. But what accident? Why did he have to run to me? There are so many question buzzing around my head I have to close my eyes for a second. 

"You alright, Gee? Do you need me to get Patrick?"

"No, no, I'm fine." I reply. "It's just... you keep talking about an accident - what accident, though?!" I ask, slightly frustrated. Frank looks taken aback. 

"You - You don't remember?" He asks, sounding strained. 

"Remember what, though?!" I ask and his facial expression mirrors my confusion.

"Stay there a sec." Frank orders, his voice gentle but firm. Then his voice changes. "PATRICK!" He bellows, making me blink at the sheer volume of his voice. Patrick hurries in with a clipboard. "Why hasn't anybody told him?!" Frank demands, voice rising towards the end. Patrick looked sheepish. 

"We didn't want to worry him..." He says. Frank looks even angrier. Patrick places a hand on Frank's arm. Frank shakes it off and sits down. "That's it, Frank. You stay there any I'll make us some coffee. Then we can tell him, okay?" Patrick suggests. Frank nods, his anger fading.

"I'm sorry to worry you, Gerard. We'll tell you when Patrick's back." Frank says apologetically. "That's alright." I reply and smile at him, then inwardly cringe at how weird I sound. Why do I suddenly care so much about what he thinks of me?

Patrick re-enters a few minutes later with three cups of coffee. He hands one to me and Frank then sets his mug down on the table whilst he pulls up a chair. The coffee warms my hands as we sip quietly. "I'm sorry for shouting at you, Patrick," Frank says and I know his apology is genuine. "I overreacted and I shouldn't have taken it out on you, I'm sorry."

"That's alright, Frank," Patrick says. I feel calmer now that everyone's on good terms. "Let's get to it then. Do you want to tell him or shall I?" Patrick asks and the uneasiness returns. 

"I'll do it." Frank says and I prepare myself. "I'm just going to go straight ahead and say it, Gee, okay?" He asks. I nod anxiously. "You were hit by a car." Frank says. I wasn't prepared for this at all. The shock makes my mind go blank and I have no idea what to say. 

"Oh." is all I can manage. Patrick looks at me sympathetically and Frank continues. 

"You were very, very drunk, Gerard. You must've crossed without looking and you got hit. The driver called an ambulance and I ran all the way to the hospital. You have a broken leg, bruises all over the other one and two broken ribs. We're gonna take care of you, Gee. We asked for you to be moved to the Emo Hospital, so here you are." Frank finishes.

 It takes me a minute to take it all in. I knew something and happened when I woke up with that headache. I didn't think it would be this bad. At least I know I'm in good hands. As if he knew exactly what I was thinking, Patrick reassures me. "We'll have you fixed in no time, Gee, don't you worry. I'm going to leave you guys alone now." He says, taking his cup. 

"Thank you, Patrick," I say, glad to be in such capable hands. Patrick exits, leaving me and Frank alone together.

Frank gets up and sits next to me on the bed. Our legs are touching. It's a small amount of contact but it makes my heart beat faster. Can Frank tell? Frank moves a little closer and I wonder how he can't hear my heartbeat.
"Thanks for being such a good friend, Frank, I really -" Frank kisses me, cutting off my sentence. Despite my previous claims, it feels good. I lean into him, desperate for more.
He pulls my shirt, tugging me closer. It's so sexy when he does that. I submit and keep kissing him, wanting him to devour me. I love the feeling of him dominating me, claiming me. I wrap my arms around his head and run my hand through his hair. His lips are warm and soft and I want to keep kissing them forever. I feel like my body is on fire and I can't get enough.
Eventually we draw apart, panting. My heart is hammering inside my chest and I feel like I could explode.
"There," He pants. "Kissed it better." I lightly shove him and he laughs.
Maybe being ill isn't so bad after all.