chapter 16

"You have to separate your legs, you're putting them too close," I told a camper for the millionth time.

He did what I told him to.

"YES!" I exclaimed. "That is how you do it, now spar with your partner until you find an opening to attack and use the disarming trick we just showed you."

I have been working on this kid for 15 minutes now. He finally got it. "You weren't kidding." A voice said from behind.

"Yea, I know."

"These campers are terrible," Luke frowned. "what happened to them?"

"I think that they went without war for too long. I mean it is a good thing but they all let their guards down and didn't pay as much effort into their training as they would've if they knew a war was coming," I shared my theory with him because the campers couldn't have gotten this bad.

We walked around, seeing if any of the campers were able to perform the trick.

"Amazing job, Mr Di Angelo," I praised. Nico just successfully performed the move an Ares camper.

"Yes well, I've had practice before. A...a friend taught me before he left. I mean I couldn't do it then and I sort of forgot about practising but now, after a little more push, I can successfully do it."

"Keep it up then," Luke nodded. "You will be able to learn Omega's one real quick."

"Yea..." He muttered and turned his attention back to the Ares camper.

"Come on, got to help the others," I said, walking towards another camper.

"You are doing everything right except that you are not using your wrist," I explained. "You are just slashing. Put pressure on your wrist when you are performing the trick and you will be able to do it."

The camper did as told and smiled. "Thanks."

"No problem." I turned around, expecting to see Luke only to see him helping another camper. I'll leave him to it then. I found another camper to help.

After an hour more of practice, most campers were able to perform the trick, except one.

"Neil," I sighed. "You need to listen and see how you are supposed to stand. The trick won't work it the instructions just falls on deaf ears."

"I don't need your trick. I have my own," he scoffed.

"Is that so," Luke mused.

"Yes. And I will beat you with it."

"Like you beat me?" I added, not helping.

Neil just glowered at me. "My way of performing the trick will beat you both!"

"Let's see then," I crossed my arms, staring at him daringly.

"We will see," He took out his sword and attacked Luke immediately. He step-sided and took out his sword with lightning speed. Dam, his reflexes... Blame the Hermes blood.

Neil tried again, only to have his strike blocked Luke. Luke apparently had had enough and gave up on defence position. He brought his sword down and attacked him. He gained on him while Neil kept backing up. Luke feigned a straight attack but changed the sword's direction at the last second.

"You were saying?" Luke arched an eyebrow.

"I didn't even get to use the trick!" He spluttered.

"Actually you did," I interfered. "but you didn't realize it. You couldn't have used it when Alpha was bringing his sword down, or when he was pushing you backwards."

"I was going easy on you all, you should be glad you are even alive," Neil read out after saying that.

Luke and I looked at each other and said together. "Right."

"Go and have your lunch campers," I announced when I heard the conch horn sound in the distance. "This training is not over yet though. I want you back after you are finished eating."