Chapter 99

Scott and I went back in the station. He was eyeing me the entire time. Obviously wondering what I was. Was it me who started the fire? And the answer was yes. I don't know how I did it. I was mad and I wanted it gone so it was gone.

"Thanks for getting you sister." Dad said to Scott who nodded at him but I refused to look at.

"It's okay. It's not like we have school tomorrow anyway." Scott answered.

"You should really be resting." He said to me.

"I'm fine plus all the drugs they have me on, I can't feel a thing." I answered as I played with my nails.

"I'm going to have to drive back to San Francisco. I'll need to have a review. I'll be back as soon as I can. While I'm gone Thana will be staying with you." He told Scott as if I did not have a say in this.

"Really?" We both asked at the same time.

"I already talked to Melissa she said its fine. Sorry Scott I'm going to miss the first game of the season." He told him.

"It's no big deal." Scott answered lying threw his teeth.

It was a big deal. It was the first game and Scott was captain. And dad had never seen him play. Scott was so excited that he was coming.

"It is to me. I'm keeping my premises this time." He answered causing dad to smile before looking down to dad's gun.

"What I did was justifiable and necessary. You know that right?" He asked us.

"Yes." I answered quickly because it was.

"Have you killed before?" Scott asked.

"Two other times. It's not easy. It's something you're forced to do." He answered.

"How do you deal with it?" Scott asked.

Never sleep, lots of drinking and drugs. I thought.

"Compartmentalize." Dad answered like that made any sense.

"How do you do that?" Scott asked.

"Used to do it by drinking." He answered and I could not help but look up at him.

It appeared we have something in common after all. I was a little intrigued but did not say anything else because Scott looked upset.

He reached out and hugged Scott and Scott quickly hugged him back.

"One more thing. When I get back we need to talk about some stuff. You guys and your friends. The way you guys handle things it doesn't seem to faze you like it should. It's like you guys know something I don't. When I get back I'd like to be in the know." He told us before trying to give me a hug and then walks out the door.

"That's going to be a fun talk." I said once he was gone.

"Shut up." Scott told me as he also walked out of the station.

I looked back and waved by to Sheriff before following after him.