Chapter 17- Morning Walk

Jess' eyes fluttered open as her alarm clock rang. She pressed the dismiss button on top to turn it off. She yawned and rubbed her eyes.

      The opened curtains allowed the sunlight enter the room. She sat up and looked outside. Her window allowed her to see her front yard. And her other to the side.

      It was Saturday. Tomorrow was the big day. The day she became 16. And she prayed it didn't end up in disaster. Like all the other years.

      All of the sudden her eyes landed on Max' s jacket on her desk chair. Oh right, she still has it.

     She stood up and threw her blankets and pillows back on her bed. She stretched her arms and back out. Like her every morning routine.

     Jess grabbed Max's jacket. It still smelled like him. But she could still tell that it was recently washed.

     She smiled and grabbed her phone off the desk. She snapped a photo of it and sent it to Max.

     Putting her phone in her pocket, she walked downstairs towards the kitchen. Her parents were not home, they had to run some errands.

     She grabbed a bowl out the covers and put it on the island in the middle of the kitchen.

     Then she reached to grab some cereal out of the pantry. There was Lucky Charms, Honey Roast with Almonds and . . . Rice Crispies! Her favorite.

     She loved the way they sizzled in the bowl while she pours the milk in. It was her favorite part when she eats them.

     Quickly, Jess ran to the fridge to grab some milk. She swung the fridge door open. She saw the rows of food and juice.

     She looked behind the left over spaghetti from last night, the cheese, cottage cheese, rotten tomatoes, lettuce, and . . . Milk!

     Happily, she grabbed it and opened the top. Their was on a little left but it would have to do. When she opened it, the rotten smell filled her nose. She gagged and put the cap on.

     Spoiled Milk . . . Great. She dumped the remaining milk in the sink and threw away the carton.

     Great. Now I gotta go get more milk. Good thing the author made it a thirty minute walk. She though in her head.

     She ran upstairs and went into her bedroom. She saw the purple walls and the white carpet. Her favorite colors.

     Jess opened her closet and scanned through the many shirts. All beautiful and mostly purple. Finally she picked out a long sleeve shirt. It had a black base, and white sleeves.

     She threw in some black jeans and her black converse. She tied them and stood back up.

     Jess quickly brushed her hair and let it fall on her shoulders. Again, she doesn't wear makeup, but put on a little Chapstick.

     All of the sudden she heard a bap. Followed by another. It was coming from her roof. She looked outside and saw it started to rain.

     She had three jackets. One was at school. Another was lost. And the other is in the washer. Great!

     Her eyes landed on something in the room. It was on her desk chair. His jacket. Max's jacket.

     Itv's the only jacket I can use. She thought. She sighed, but put his jacket on.

     That's when she left the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      It started to rain a little harder.  She put her, or Max's, hoodie on. It still smelled like him.