Gargoyle Judging

• Dedicated to The Fellow Members of "StoryArtistKid"

I strode in with a glamorous flare, staring at the cedar columns, filled with seats for the public. Jennifer Krupp, the most parsimonious judge in the realm, glared at me with devil-like eyes. She wasn’t mortal, she was a combination of magical creatures. She was part wizard, part gargoyle, and part enchantress. Here, in the magical realm of City of the Caesars. IT is only visible to “people” with some magical blood inside of them. Most humans don’t have magical blood, so when our City appears to the public, it is when one of us leaves to visit relatives, or when a gifted human comes about to visit the “mythical” sight. The city itself, is made of diamonds and pure gold. It is the only truly magical place the Earth has ever known, and it will stay that way till the end. The gold and diamonds aren’t actually gems and precious metals, though. Both gold and diamonds create the magic on which this city strives on. The process is quite simple, but the magic is only captured through pure gargoyles. You know how on the porches of some humans, columns of the risky and the buildings from ancient times in Europe? Well, back in the Medieval ages, we roamed the Earth and created those cement statues, where gargoyle could rest and capture the light from the sun. Within those statues, are diamonds, which reflect the light of the sun. If that light hits pure gold, or 24 karat gold, magical sand is created and instantly transported to the next magical being on the waiting list for a magic refill.

Well back to my situation, Jennifer Krupp, my judge for today, is the one in charge of distributing magic, and if I don’t win this case, my magic will be gone for eternity. I can’t let that insufficient fairy win a case that is not fair. I never stole her spells, and I never would take them for my own. I’m a teacher, who teaches the young boys and girls in this City. I show them how to find their calling, how to use it properly, and most importantly, how to use their abilities for the better of society and not just themselves. I teach white magic, the “good” side’s kind, but every once in a while, a lamb in my flock strands far away and is captured by the black magic dwelling in the hearts of those abhorrent souls. Teachers are never wrong, all they do is teach, and never steal. So, why am I here? Well, that greedy fairy over there, to my left, is pressing charges on me and suing me for taking her copyrighted spells! All she wants is money, to grow her empire, but she is taking the life and image away from me, a teacher! After I’m gone, nobody will be taught right, and she will exploit everyone. I can’t let this happen, so I have to do everything I could to be approved innocent, like I truly am.

After all of my thoughts subsided, I sat down next to my lawyer and best friend, Anthony Ward. He is truly a generous person, and I am so lucky to have him here, by my side in a time like this. I know he will get me through this, and protect my privacy, but what I wonder is how his reputation will dimmer as he helps me. He risks his whole life’s work for anyone he trusts, and he will even lie to prove them innocent, as they always are. With my circumstances, if I am convicted, the penalty is a jail sentence for my whole life. I am not mortal though, so I don’t live to seventy or eighty years old. I live forever, unless I am found guilty of three crimes and they magically turn me into a mortal and then afterwards kill me. I can’t think about this though, because I know dear Anthony will sacrifice his life for me, knowing that I already have two strikes due to some past confusions and my sister. She teaches black magic, and blames it on me, because our DNA is exactly alike, but again, I can’t think about all of that.

I humphed, knowing this trial would commence soon. I rubbed my long legs, trying to calm myself down. Everyone that knew me though, said I shouldn’t do that, thinking it was seductive, especially with my stunning good looks, but it is the only way to rest the magical urge that was lurking deep, down inside of me. Anthony patted my back like a reliable friend would, and just coached me on how to stay calm and not suddenly break my sanity. I sounded like a child when I replied to him, saying “Yeah, I got it” after every tip. He shrugged my partly rude comments and told himself it was the lack of sleep and sanity and the instant stress I accumulated. I didn’t care though, because I knew I was right, and that’s all that matters; what you think about yourself.