As War Ends, Another War Begins

Ok, so I'm alive. That book I was planning on finishing Halloween is taking longer than I thought. I haven't been writing much as of late because of school and the like. I am planning on releasing the first 10 or so chapters (each at least 1,000 words) of my new book more near Christmas. I also plan on ending this book soon and beginning the fourth of this series, as this book is getting kind of long. I am going to continue responding to all my comments but I will respond to direct messages (hopefully) within the hour and if not I should be able to within 24 hours. Same with those on my profile. I also should start writing more of this book because it's starting to pick up in pace [although I might drop off the face of the Earth for a while because of a massive cliffhanger] but I might get caught up in other projects. I'm writing 6ish different books, most of which will never be seen by anyone but me so if I get swept up in those I might disappear for awhile. So my apologies in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I placed in my study, feeling Jordan and Damion's eyes on me. I was pacing slower than I had been, and I tried to sit still, but I was unable to stay still. I had to keep moving.

      "Here." Jordan said, handing me a cup of tea. I didn't want it but the warmth of the cup made me realize how cold I was with worry. I was about to take a drink when I stopped, standing still for a moment. I looked at them.

     "If you drug me again I'll have you beheaded for high treason. You know this, correct?" I said matter-of-factly. Jordan looked at the ground and guilt and Damion nodded, also looking guilty. "Guys, it's fine. The war is taking its toll, and Ash's death hit me pretty hard. I wasn't in my right mind. Just don't do it again unless there is a really good reason. You're my friends, and I trust you with my life. Don't ruin that trust, please."

     "Understood, your highness, thank you for your forgiveness." Damion said, bowing, Jordan soon doing the same.

     "Guys - rise...." I muttered, sighing. I drank the tea and put the empty cup on the saucer on my desk.

      I resumed pacing, my nerves refusing to settle. Jordan and Damion tried to talk about strategies and such with me but I was only able to half-listen and respond accordingly. There was a knock on the door and I whipped around.

     "Enter!" I called out, my body tense. Jordan and Damion, I'm sure, told everyone it would be best to leave me be until Ash was better.

     "You're highness, Lord Ashborne..." Jakob said, standing in my doorway. He looked distressed. Something was very wrong. I nodded and ran past him, heading to his room where I knew they would take him. I didn't have the strength to use full vampiric speed and keep going. But I did run fast,  and no one even tried to stop me. I skidded to a stop in the open door, looking into the room filled with people surrounding the bed.

     "What's going on?" I asked, my voice breaking.

     "My queen! He's alive, but criticially injured. We're not out of the woods yet, he's lost a lot of blood. He's comatose and no one knows when, if ever, he'll wake." My body went numb at the man's words. I've lost him once already. I can't lose him again. I also have to be strong and pretend nothing's wrong else I'm deemed a weak ruler and I can't do that to my people.

     "Anyone not vital leave now." I ordered. I don't order people often,  so they listen when I do. Everyone left with the exception of three. I heard the door shut behind me and I looked at those before me. "What's really going on?"

     "He has toxins fatal to most coursing through his body and not enough venom to burn it away. His captors did not realize his identity or he would be dead by now. Even still, there's not much we can do. Human blood and normal vampire blood would most likely quicken the venom's pace. All the noblemen suitable have gone to fight or are unable to do such a task because the only way is to transfer some of the venom into their body and give their blood to him. I'm sorry, your majesty." Another doctor said, stepping forward. Venom...oh no.

     "Vampiric acid..." I mumbled, peeved at their conveinent leaving out that fact. Another nodded solemly.

     "Yes, my queen. I'm sorry, but-"

     "Leave. All of you." I said, cutting him off. They nodded and bowed, leaving. The door shut behind them and I went to Ash's bedside.

     I sighed, knowing what I could do and the likelihood of what it would do to me. There's a chance of my death, but it'll save his life. I didn't grow up as a royal, I grew up human. I'm sure he'd make a better king than I ever could. Thoughts of indecision vanished. I loved him, and I lost him. I cannot lose him again, even if I lose my life in the process. I took his wrist and bit into it, trying to keep it as painless as possible. I know it still hurt. I tried to avoid drinking as much blood as possible and I was barely able to hold onto myself. The acid burned and I was just trying to avoid triggering an attack and rendering myself useless. When I got all I could I healed the wound. I ran to the bathroom as I coughed up blood and venom into the sink, washing it all off the counter and my face when I felt like I could keep myself from losing my stomach. I walked back over to where Ash lay and bit my own wrist, wincing at the sting. I let my blood drip in his mouth, smiling a bit when he eagerly drank from the wound. I knew I couldn't last much longer, almost collapsing when I took back my wrist and healed the wound.

The war was drawing to an end, true, but my own war was just beginning.