Scout.

I sprinted through the woods, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. Tears choke me as I ran. I tripped, flipping/rolling about 20 more feet before forcibly hitting a tree, knocking some leaves down. I don't move, the pain too great. I sucked in a breath, wincing. I bit my lip and stood, lightly resting my hand on the right side of my ribs, when obviously has a broken rib. It was moved slightly when I hit the tree.

     I walked the rest of the way, pulling back up my mask and hat. I got myself under control and my emotions locked away before I got back. Once her house was in sight in the quickly rising sun I dropped my hand, determined to remain indifferent, not showing pain. I got inside and found Brianna just waking up. I'm usually up and dressed before her, so hopefully she won't notice my leaving. My wish was granted as we went about our morning as normal. However, at about noon we (I) noticed a beggar getting the crap beaten out of him. Thankfully I was here in time. I moved swiftly, getting between the four guards and the small boy. He looks smaller than me. About time. Yea, he's older. I'M 16 NOW! I'M THE NORMAL AGE FOR MY KIND THANK YOU. No, but really, whatever. Youngest always and forever. Yay.

     "What are you doing here bitch? Go home." I don't say anything, but I don't move. I also didn't flinch when his foot kicked my shin, sending shoots of pain. I glance back and caught him looking at me. I signaled for him to run to Brianna, who was nearby. We're in an alley, one building I'm facing red brick, the one my back is to be made of different stones that are motar-ed together.

     "Ah, there goes our fun. Guess we'll take it out on you instead." Another guy said. I can't see their faces and they can't see mine. I tasted blood when a fist came into contact with my jaw. A foot kicked the back of my knee, making my leg buckle unwillingly. Another foot sent white-hot pain through me when it came into contact with my already broken rib. I was slammed into a wall and bit my lip so I remain blank.

     After a couple more minutes of a hell of a lot of pain on my part, I was able to focus enough and retaliate. For lack of a better explanation, I climbed some walls and punched them in the face. I managed to knock them out. I (blankly) walk over, managing to hide my limp and the amount of pain I'm truly in. Brianna and the guy are just staring at me. I blink.

     "Um, anyway...what's your name, how old are you, and what did you do?" She asks.

     "Y-you first." The boy replies. His voice isn't super low but it isn't high either.

     "Brianna, 17, stole blood to survive. I was sentenced to hang. She saved me." Brianna said, motioning to me. I nodded once, not saying anything. I showed nothing. I was close to her age. Well, close enough anyway.

     "Scout, 18, I don't have basically anything. What about you?" He asked me. I looked him over. He looks like he hasn't eaten barely anything in a very long time. He also looks like he hasn't slept in a long time either. He's like a half a foot taller than me. Yippe. I shook my head, turning to walk away. Brianna ran up to me but I kept walking. I stopped when I only heard her following. I turn around, looking at Scout. I waved him to follow. He looked like he wanted to question but I shook my head, motioning him to follow.

     We all walked to Brianna's house. We made him eat and by that time he passed out on the couch. I'm suprised that I made it to the room I was staying in before collapsing in pain and exhaustion from my injuries. I blacked out on the cool wooded floor, pain searing through me.