Please, wait for me...

Before I knew it the sun had set. I got ready, switching to the black leather fingerless gloves (new pair, now I have three different pairs). I waited until Briana had fallen asleep before leaving. I snuck around the house. I made it through with ease, silent. I got out the door.

     I sprinted through the woods, making it to the castle in a reasonable time. I just took a minute, staring at the towering gates. I'd seen my people starve, beaten, almost killed. I'd not been in time to save any of them. Yet I live here. I shook my head, quickly scaling the wall. I crouched on the top, searching for the guards. I dove to the right, narrowly dodging an arrow. I internally cursed. Welp, gotta go fast! (I am so, SO sorry. Ha sorry not sorry no regrets.) Nah, but really, I dodged a couple more arrows and was suddenly tackled, hitting the ground pretty hard. The wind had knocked from me and I was flipped, my arm being twisted between my shoulder blades, someone's knee in my back. I gasped both in pain and surprise and trying to regain my air. The pocket watch probably broke a rib, but I hope not.

     "Who are you? What do you want?" Alexander's voice hissed in my ear. I instantly relaxed, laughing out loud at my fear. He twisted my arm and I cried out.

     "Ow, you bastard get off of me!" I shouted. Alex instantly leapt back, saying apologies too fast and tripping over his own words. I started laughing again. From everything. I've hidden my emotions and I can't. It took me a second before I regained control, forcing my robotic state once again.

     "Juliet-"

     "Shhhhh! Shut up!" I scrambled, covering his mouth with my hand, listening for movement. Satisfied with my identity not being jeopardized.

     "Mmmm. Mmmmhmhmhhhmmm." He mumbled. I rolled my eyes, letting him go. I pulled off the mask and putting my beanie in my back pocket. "What are you doing here?"

     "I've got some work to do and I'd appreciate Ash not knowing about my being here until at least after I leave." I whispered.

     "I understand, come on. You have to be quick. He's been off since you left. Come on." Alex said, helping me up. I went inside and soon locked myself in my study. I have to focus. I really have to finish this quickly.

     I did. I finished the small (only about the ENTIRE DESK'S WORTH) of paperwork, and I heard movement outside. I quickly unlocked the door and hid, hiding in the balcony. I pulled back on the beanie and pulled the neck back up as a mask.

     "What?! She was here?! Why didn't you tell me?!" Ash sounded angry and hurt. I winced.

     "I'm sorry..." Alex's voice was small, ridden with guilt and regret. I can't believe I made him do that. I cursed internally, my eyes watering. Ash stormed in, the doors slamming behind him. As soon as the echo faded I saw him fall apart. He leaned heavily on the desk. It took all my will not to go to him, but I know if I did, I'd never be able to leave again.

     "Why...when are you coming back." His voice reminded me of a puppy that's been kicked by the nicest and most loving owner it's ever known. It hurt so much. The sun was out, and I remembered about Briana. She's the reason I left in the first place.

     I snuck out through an open window. I looked at the broken man I was leaving behind, then left, tears wetting the edge of my mask.

     Ashborne, I'm sorry. I know it's selfish, but I have a request. Wait for me...