Chapter 28

Eventually, I stopped crying, my eyes were dripping wet and my eyes felt droopy.

I turned my head around to see the door open slightly and a head poking out. 

"Boss wants to see you," Jeff said, then left the room.

My face went up bright pink when we were still hugging each other. 

Jack let go of my arms. "Go rest," He urged softly.

I could only nod before climbing onto his bed and closing my eyes softly, Jack pulling up the covers to my neck.

I didn't know if I saw it right, but Jack had his mouth curved into a smile as he left the room.

         I woke up to a sound of two people shouting. My head shot up, but suddenly regretting it as my head pounded with a headache. I slowly sat up and opened the door, my feet gliding softly against the floor, I went down five steps on the stairs to see two shadows talking to each other. Curious, I went to the door to lean my ear to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

"But boss! She can't go out there all alone!" A voice whined.

"You know the rules, child. I cannot allow any mortal living in my mansion." A deep and calm voice boomed around the room.

"Slender man, you don't know how much I she means to me.." The voice cracked, almost like crying.

I stopped leaning my ear against the door. I know that voice. It was Jack, and.. Slender man? I recalled hearing that name before. Oh right, Jack had mentioned that Slender man was his boss. But Slender man's voice sounded so familiar to me. Then, the idea hit me on the head. It was that voice! The voice that told me to shut my mouth up to Jack! He wanted me to go out. He NEEDED me to go out. If I stayed here any longer, I would put myself in danger. And Jack would be in danger too, if I were here. 

Before I got to even react, the conversation went dead silent. I slowly backed away, trying not to make any sound, but no such luck on my side again. 

"How long have you been here?" Jack asked, once the door opened and Jack came out.

"Long enough for me to know that I'm not wanted here," I retorted, turning away from him.

"Wait.." Jack pleaded, as he grabbed my hand, the same thing I did before to him.

"Why do you even need me here?" I asked, my eyes stinging with tears.

He hesitated before asking. "Because, I-" His voice was cut off before he could say any more.

Jack held his ears with his hands, as if he was blocking some sort of painful noise.

My anger faded away and turned into concern. I took hold of his arms. "Jack? What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked.

"I-" Jack started, but recoiled back as he dug his hands deeper into his ears, blocking some sort of painful noise.

Jack whimpered and shook his head. A minute later, he was back up, panting as if he ran around the house.

"Promise *pant*-you won't leave?" Jack panted, sweating as he kept asking.

Seeing Jack in this situation made me weak. I just nodded. Too stunned to say anything back to him. I couldn't see him hurt. I couldn't see him like this. For whatever dumb reason, I just can't.