Author Note

I'm excited about this secrets series. Many of the events that happen around my characters (and to them for that matter) are echoes of diary entries and letters I found written by real people who lived through the time I'm writing about.

The letter in the next chapter (is fictitious in my telling) but based on a letter by a real soldier to his dad back home. He survived the bloodiest battle of the western front of the civil war. Some historians called the battle of Glorietta Pass 'the Gettysburg of the west'. In honor of that brave boy, I have created a fictional version of him and made him best friends with my character Hezekiah "Zeke" White.

I included this mini-story in my book because I needed to show the reader that the western front, while not as famous or bloody as the eastern front of the civil war was still plenty bloody. In book two you saw a large part of the western front was subterfuge. In book three I explore the physical battles. There were plenty. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Quinton will see battle.

This mini-story is setting the stage for what's to come. I couldn't just throw Quinton into the frontlines without some sort of warning that it was coming. Well, I guess I could have, but I really wanted to tell this mini-story. I also wanted to bring Zeke back. Anyway, see you on the next page!

����?í|��yB