Chapter 30

She was still pondering the possibilities when she saw Buck looping the rope around his arm. He carried it to a tree and she noticed he'd tied one end to a rock. He tossed it up over a branch and with a smile she admired his quick thinking. They could use the tree to lift Quin up onto the saddle the same way they lifted him from the bottom of the ravine. It was definitely a better solution than draping her husband over the saddle like a corpse.

"I'll put him on Jonah and ride behind him to hold him in the saddle." Bo came up next to her. "Are you sure you're alright? You look a little pale."

"Eh." She waved a hand and smiled. "It's not the first time I've danced with the devil. And I'm sure Quin's been worse off..."

"He's going to be alright." Bo said in a soft but confident voice. "Just give him time."

"Thanks." She smirked because Bo saw right through her.

"Now, after we get Quin in the saddle, you want me to tie you up?"

"What?"

"Well, you're looking pretty wobbly. You sure you can climb into the saddle?"

"If I weren't so tired, I'd have to wallop you for that." She smiled a warm genuine smile. "But as Uncle Jebb used to say, 'my get up and go got up and went."

Bo laughed.

"I'd say after nearly drowning in a flash-flood, you're entitled to be tired. Come on. I'll give you a leg-up."

But he did more. Knowing how exhausted she was, he lifted her around the waist and set her up on the saddle. Before she could be embarrassed, he turned and walked away to help Buck with Quin. The gesture spared her dignity without compromising his sense of honor and for that she was grateful. With a sigh she turned to follow Buck as he led them home.

Maybe she should have found a safe place and made camp for the night but she just wanted to go home. She wanted to get Quin warm and dry and properly tended by a doctor. She knew from past experience that he was a terrible patient but this time she had a secret weapon. The children would be good medicine for him...especially the girls.

If she sent them in to make sure he stayed in bed maybe he'd stay in bed. Tiny as they were, they had their Pa wrapped tightly around their little fingers. Suddenly her mother's voice rang with the memory...She was sitting on her Daddy's lap in the library as he read to her and Mama came in to say it was bedtime. She asked for another story and Daddy caved. Mama laughed and said 'Mr. Bradley, that girl has you wrapped around her little fingers.'

They rode slowly through the inky darkness, letting the horses pick their way. V icky was so sore and tired she found herself dozing in the saddle. It was a skill, she supposed, that once mastered is never forgotten. They rode on through the night at a painfully slow pace. At last she saw the Arrow Q and the animals found their second wind as they anticipated the comforts of home.

As they rode through the gate Vicky saw Will step out onto the porch, rifle in hand. It only took him a second to recognize his visitors. He set the rifle down and leapt from the porch to meet them. She watched as the three of them gently lowered Quin from the saddle. While Buck and Will carried Quin inside, Bo dismounted and lifted her down and held her elbow as she swayed.

He walked slowly beside her and helped her up the steps. She'd forgotten how sore a body could get from riding so long, especially after a long absence. Each pregnancy left her body feeling like a novice when she started riding again. She sucked air her teeth as she climbed the steps and the pain burned through her stiff, sore muscles. The cold wet weather didn't help any.

She'd be lucky if the four of them didn't end up with pneumonia. Bo helped her to a chair and then knelt in front of her to help with the wet laces on her boots. After setting Vicky's boots aside, he removed his own. Then he helped her to her feet and out of the slicker. While he hung the slickers on the pegs by the door Vicky waddled her way to the bedroom leaning on the wall for support.